A New Family

The weather outside my office windows was truly horrible. It had been raining for almost five hours straight without stopping, but that didn't even put a dent on my good mood. It had been a week since Tom and I shared our three little word moment and since then neither of us had been able to stop saying it and neither of us planned to anytime soon. Tom and I were one of those overly romantic couples at times, you know the ones who can't decide who hangs up first at the end of a conversation or who call each other pookie bear and snuggle muffin. Ok we weren't that bad but you get my point. Now imagine the shock I had when Tom and I turned up at his mother's house for me to meet his family. Suddenly Tom acted like the cool boyfriend who tolerates my presence because he has to. Why you ask? Because he was worried his sisters would tease him!

"Now darling there is no need to be worried about meeting everyone today, they're really looking forward to seeing you so just be yourself and they'll love you" he took hold of my hand as we walked up the driveway towards his mother's front door. Butterflies had filled my stomach and although Tom hadn't said anything about it, I'm sure my palms were sweating too.

Tom rang the doorbell and we waited patiently for someone to answer. He looked down and noticed the nervous look on my face. I felt his thumb under my chin as he turned my head to face him, before pressing his lips gently to mine and whispering, "I love you so much". I blushed and looked down at the floor, despite how many times he'd told me, I still couldn't stay calm every time he said he loved me.

"I love you too" I whispered back, looking up at him from beneath my lashes and biting my lip shyly. Tom squeezed my hand gently just as the door opened.

"Thomas! Hello my darling. And this must be Emma, so wonderful to meet the girl whose stolen my son's heart. I'm Diana." she said to me as she pulled me in for a hug and a kiss on the cheek. Not quite the hello I was expecting.

"Hello mum, hope we aren't too late, Emma was a little nervous" he smiled softly down at me and wrapped his hand around my waist to walk us both inside.

"No you aren't late at all sweethearts. In fact Emz isn't even here yet, but Sarah is in the living room with the kids so go and introduce your lovely lady Thomas" Diana replied as she shut the front door and led us towards the living room,where I could hear little giggles from the children, which became clearer as we turned the corner.

"Uncle Tom!" A little female voice called out as he walked in. A tiny toddler who must have been about two years old, launched herself at Tom, where he caught her out of thin are and spun her around before kissing her cheek and putting her back down again.

"Hi Tommy! How's my baby brother?" Sarah called from across the room as she made her way over to hug her brother.

"I'm great thanks Sarah, but must you call me Tommy right now? In front of Emma?" His embarrassment made me giggle, attracting Sarah's attention.

"Oh yes, how rude of me! Hi I'm Sarah, lovely to meet little Tommy's girlfriend at last" she winked as she shook my hand, her attempt to tease Tom working well as I noticed his jaw clench at her nickname for him.

"It's so nice to finally meet Tom's family, for a moment I thought he was too ashamed of me to meet you all" I teased back, subtly squeezing Tom's bum and making him jump slightly.

"Actually Emma, you're the first girl he's brought home to meet us. So ashamed is not the word I would use" I gasped and she smiled, patting Tom on the shoulder before walking back into the living room to gather the children.

"Emma, this is Dean and Abigail, my niece and nephew, Sarah's kids." Tom announced as Dean walked over to me and shook my hand confidently, while Abigail was slightly more hesitant about it. Tom knelt down beside her and hugged her softly while she took my hand to shake it slowly. "They may look all innocent now, but you'll learn that really they're little monsters" Tom added, tickling Abigail and making her giggle loudly.