Chapter 33~We Get Hera'D by Chaos

We are broken.

There's no other way to put it.

We are broken.

It's been a week. No food. Water. Anything. We were hungry, thirsty, and tired. I don't want to fight anymore. I don't want to try.

The darkness was coming back.

But we sure as hades were going to get out.

Because even in the world of hopelessness, there is an ember. An ember that will lead us to our final goal. For most people that ember leads them to get an A in math, but to us it's the escape the father of all gods and pure and utter destruction.

Oh what fun it is to be a demigod.

Tartarus kept us moving, never one to delay. Tonight, we stayed in a cave outside of the River Lethe, of forgetfulness and oblivion.

Tartarus is a bad tour guide by the way.

He was out conversing with other dark spirits that were evidently his sons and daughters. My hand was sore from the ropes that tied us to the rocks.

"I have an idea."

I looked up at Rachel, ready for whatever genius idea she could concoct.

"Let's burn these ropes and run for our lives and hope we find Nic."

Oh no Rachel's got brain damage.

"That is the worst idea I have ever heard in my life."

She gave me a look and cocked her head.

"Let's go use blowtorches what could possibly go wrong Rachel?"

She tossed her hair in a clear imitation of me.

"I hate you."

Rachel struck a match with her amazing Athena smartness while I charmspoke the guards as hard as I could.

"We're going to come back, honestly we just need a walk, and the river looks so beautiful and not to mention we've overused your hospitality, we just need some time to breathe in the fresh air."

I smiled and the skeleton nodded.

In moments Rachel had the ropes off our hands and my arm was free. I massaged the rope burns and cautiously stepped outside.

No one. Just the screams from the river and nothing more.

I motioned to Rachel and in seconds we were running. As fast as our legs could take us. This wasn't about making it, it was about enjoying it. We needed to find Hades. We needed Nic. I don't know how long we ran, but it was at least miles. The cave faded further away and I heard the shouts of the skeletons and Tartarus.

"They couldn't have gotten far!"Tartarus yelled.

There were other voices this time. Two Greeks, easily demigods.

"Antaeus and Ixion, you better bring those girls back to me. Do you understand?"Tartarus bellowed.

There was a shuffle of yes sirs and than a roar of hooves. The world froze and Rachel and I didn't move a muscle.

Both of us had crouched down and my hair was back in a braid, to prevent a single strand from falling.

"Don't move."Rachel whispered.

"No fudge Sherlock."

Antaeus and Ixion were both a few years older than us, perhaps in their twenties. Antaeus had golden hair that fell unto his shoulders and clear grey eyes that looked as they would pierce anything that came in their ways. Ixion had curly brown hair that cropped at his ears and dark eyes that swallowed darkness.

Both were on horses, but as they passed us they stopped.

I held my breathe.

"Ixion, I hear something."Antaeus stopped, dismounting.

He took out his dagger and I squeezed Rachel's hand.

"Antaeus, it is nothing, we must hurry if we are to please the king."Ixion said annoyed.

Antaeus looked around and sighed.

"You are right."

I let out a breathe of relief.

Bad move.

Antaeus swirls around and I try to avoid him, but he grabs my shoulder and tugs my braid, hard.

"Let go!" I scream, scared.

Ixion holds Rachel from behind, and she attempts to bite off his arm.

"But I've only just started, darling." He said smirking.

"Don't touch me!" I say, trying to pull away."

"Sorry, sweetheart...you're coming home with me." He grins.

I shove him but his arm grips my shoulder and he is too strong.

"Your not going to win."Rachel says, spitting out blood.

Antaeus smiles.

"We already have."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He throws a dagger that cuts the side of my face. Blood pours onto my cheek, warm against the side of my face.

I don't even feel the pain anymore. I'm smiling at Tartarus's anger. Rachel is still recovering, but she's smart. She's buying time.

Tartarus huffs.

"Next time that happens, I'm killing both of you."

I laugh.

"You can't do that. You need us. We don't need you."

Tartarus face contorts with anger, but soon a dark expression fills him.

"We don't have to kill you. Yes."He turns to Ixion and Antaeus."Ixion, Antaeus tell my father that the demigods will be seeing him shortly."

Ixion and Antaeus nodded.

I stepped back.

"What?"

Tartarus smiled.

"Do you remember what Zeus once did to Hera when she attempted to overthrow him?"

I shook my head and kept my hand next to Rachel.

"He hung her about Chaos. Everyday, he would visit, to see if she was any better to see if she was sorry. And the worst part-it can't kill you."

Tartarus smiled and I tried to hide my terror.

"Bring it on."Rachel spit out.

Ixion and Antaeus came back seconds later, ready to Hera us.

"Oh demigods. I guess since you won't be leaving anytime soon I might as well tell you my plan. Once we have the blood of beauty and art, we will awaken Chaos into his human form. From there, we will let him take over the gods and mortals and start a new world. And -oh the two of you- shall be the only demigods. Belonging to Antaeus and Ixion. Won't it be grand?"

••••••••

Big battle coming soon, more ships and feels and next chapter has no Lacey and Rachel, it's told from Peters point of view (: Enjoy this ❤️