Chapter 20~The Hounds of Chaos

Rachel was high.

I'm taking the type of high where you crave pixie stix. She ran around like an insane idiot screaming total gibberish that no one understood. It was pretty weird. Nic and her laughed like idiots and made pointless jokes while stealing looks at each other. She was on the floor rolling in laughter and Nic's ghastly pale skin was pink with laughter.

I sighed.

Kelsey or Bridget would be here making fun of them with me. Right now,I felt lonely. I missed the Unpredictable Five. . .not the Unpredictable Two plus Rachel who doesn't remember that I'm Lacey or pretty much anything. Yeah. Not the great life I was aiming for.

I walked over beyond the trees to a little river brook. A thin white stream of after rushed over in rapids and poured into a steep waterfalls. Perfect for drowning.

I'm not a happy child. I know.

I pulled over a rock with moss and stuck my feet in the cool water, a refreshing burst of chilled water against the warmth of the summer day. In the rapids, a glossy reflection of a girl with galaxy eyes and deep black hair looked back at me. Her eyes were crystal-like, almost barren of energy. Her hair stood at uneven edges and frizzed out on the tips.

So much for an Aphrodite child.

I opened my backpack and dumped out the few contents I had left. A few credit cards that my dad had sent, an old dagger from Chiron, a couple drachmas, some old photos, and books Rachel had gave me. I shuffled through the Polaroid images.

The first was of my parents and I. My dad, being the insane billionaire that he is, had a long GQ style tux, smiling and waving at the picture taker and those around him. My mom, Aphrodite, was in a long golden dress with her dark hair in curls falling perfectly in a Marilyn Monroe style. I stood as the little girl in the black dress with her hair mimicing my mom's. It was probably my dad's invention convention. We had a lot of those back when things were okay and mom did not have "Buisness trips" as often. 

The second was a picture of Camp Half Blood with my brothers and sisters. Luke, the oldest Aphrodite child, had his arms around my neck in a hug. Eleanor and Sydney smiled and waved at the camera. The guys had their hair back with gel and the girls had straightened out theirs. I missed them. I missed Sydney's curling skills. I missed Eleanor stealing my lip gloss and not telling me. I missed Luke messing with my curler and lipstick caps to mix up my style. 

Luke. 

Holy Hera. 

Luke. 

How could I be so stupid! Luke was still here, he came with us, and Luke. . .that meant Ruby would be here too! They could know where Bridget and Kelsey were! They could help us! I grabbed my cell phone and dialed his number. 

Pick up you idiot. 

The phone rang once. Twice. Three times. 

Come on. 

"Luke Devon, son of Aphrodite at your service."He answered.

"HOW THE HADES DID YOU NOT NOTICE THAT WE WERE GONE YOU BLIND IDIOT!"I screamed.

"Missed you too sis."He sighed."We assumed you were fulfilling your part of the prophecy. Ruby and I are on our way, she says she's near you guys."

"And you trust her?"I whispered, walking and holding my phone closely. 

"She's saved my life on the way here. I'll see you soon sis okay?"Luke said, the tone of his voice serious. 

"Okay, bye genius."I said back.

The line went dead. 

I held my cell closely. I don't care what the hades Chiron said about not using technology. If I had not called, I would probably be screaming like a lunatic. I threw the old phone back in the river, hopefully dimming the signal. 

I sighed and grabbed a drachma. Maybe Peter could make me happy with some stupid comeback. 

I threw it over the river rapids. 

"O Iris, I ask for Peter Delacourt of Camp Half Blood."

The river shimmered and a faint rainbow appeared to show Camp Half Blood. A few things were on fire, no doubt the work of Louis, Eleanor's boyfriend who happened to have a small fire problem that nearly killed me twice. The tone was darker this time, smoke had covered the sky and the cries of war screamed at full speed. 

"Peter!!!!"I shouted, looking for him

He fell onto the grass. His skin was dotted with dirt and ashes and a scar covered his forehead. 

"Lace, don't come back, I only have a few more minutes, but Chaos is rising."Peter said."Tell the others to be watchful. They sent hounds for you guys. Just be careful. I love you."

The message wavered and faded away.

"NOOOO!!!!!!!"I screamed, which brough Nic and Rachel running over. 

"What's wrong?Nic asked, alarmed.

I glance at Rachel. 

Don't trust anyone.

"Oh nothing, just Selena and Justin got back together again."