Chapter 22~The Unpredictable Four

Nic was gone.

Our bisexual nerd was dead. Ripped apart by hounds in the dark.

Three will fall.

This isn't real. It couldn't be. Nic had to be alive. He had to be here. Maybe his light was still burning at camp. Maybe there's hope.

But I know in my heart that dwelling upon these thoughts will yield fruitless results. I had seen him die.

I shoved my feelings inside and walked with Rachel. We had lost the hounds, but both of us knew they were coming after us. After a few more hours, both of us collapsed on the grass. Tired and sick of everything.

"I'm sorry. . .about Nic."Rachel said, breathless.

I exhale and inhale sharply. All power I had was gone. My arms were red with scratches and my legs had gashes of blood. Styx would found us. We were going to die. . .or worse. There was no hope.

"It's. . . okay."I breathed."When you have your memory back. . .it'll make more sense."

Rachel nods. . . .I think. My eyes are heavy and dark from the travel.

The darkness envelops me and I fall asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Water.

Cold freaking water is shoved down my back and I scream. My hair is dripping wet and my clothes are soaked. I jump up and slash at whatevers near me.

"Holy schist Lacey, I just wanted to wake you!"Bridget says, putting her hand over the scar I had just made on her cheek.

I look at her as my mascara drains down my cheek.

"OH MY GODS BRIDGET!"I scream, hugging her and choking on tears.

"I heard about Nic Lace..."She says, hugging back."I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

I nod and hug her tighter.

"Rach doesn't remember anything."I wipe my tear."She has amnesia."

Bridget sighs.

"Hey-lets regroup and figure this prophecy schist out okay?"She says, her voice trying to be strong.

I nod.

Rachel, Kelsey, Bridget, and I sit around a makeshift fire. I spread out an old scroll that has the prophecy etched on it.

"Three will fall."I repeat."Nic's gone. So that means two more of us will die."

"Wheres Ruby and Luke?"Bridget asks.

"They're finding the Minotaur."I answer."Luke said they'll be fine."

"Who's Luke and Ruby?"Rachel asks.

"My turtles."I say, not willing to explain what happened."'To tests and fate the nearer the date'. Well we know the gods are testing us, I mean from Styx, Hades, and I bet more are coming. 'The King's Lost son will have the final say in the end of all days' Chiron said that's Minos and his son the Minotaur."

Kelsey nods.

"What does 'the dove will share her darkest secret' mean?"She asks."Lace-got any secrets?"

I laugh.

"None that you don't already know."I lie."And 'the wolf will make the hardest choice.' I think Nic running into the hounds and choosing our lives over ours is that. 'The owl will find herself."

We all stare at Rachel.

"WHEN I FIND MY MEMORY I MIGHT FIND MYSELF DINGLBERRIES."She says.

I laugh.

"And 'the fox's light will fade away."Bridget says."I don't want to die."

"It might just mean something will change in your soul, like a reference to the light of earth."Rachel points out.

"Shush your smart talk Rachel."Kelsey says.

"And 'the lioness will lead the lost."I say, looking at Kelsey.

"I'm not a leader."She says.

"Well get ready to become one."I say back.

From above, an eagle flies down from above. It lands on the branch beside me, in its beak it holds a small scroll.

I walk over and the eagle drops the package in my hand and pecks my cheek, as if to kiss me.

"What does it say Lacers?"Rachel asks.

I open it.

Dear Lacey,

I'm sorry you have to find out this way. I tried so hard to see you in person, but they few of us that remain are staying as close to each other as we can. I hope Roover gets this to you, but the war at Camp Half Blood has begun. Chaos struck...and we fear he is in search of you and the others. We are coming to find you, but whatever you do, do not return. There is nothing to come back too. Finish your quest and stay safe love, I'll see you soon.

With Hope,
Peter

There is no Camp. There is no home. The war has begun, and here we are-dying in the middle of all the action in the very core of Greek Society.

We are all thats left to save the world of our people.

The Unpredictable Four.

Four girls against the forces of Chaos.

I never said this would be a fun tale.