[Chapter Thirteen]

Chapter Thirteen

The rest of the weekend Alexis and I spent doing nothing productive, my parents didn’t let me go to work Sunday, I feel like the worst employee ever.

We hadn’t seen the kids in a while so Alexis and I spent Sunday morning and afternoon at the orphanage.

This week there was a new little girl who came to the orphanage, the head there told us her parents died in a car accident, and she had no other family to take her in. She’s only seven and it was heartbreaking.

I know we did good things here and met amazing people but at the same time I wish I never knew any of them, it would mean that they didn’t have their lives torn apart and that they still had family.

She was adorable with bright blond hair and sweet blue eyes that showed distrust of anyone she saw around her, she was struggling as she should be but I didn’t want her to be afraid.

“Hello I’m Arianna” I went up to talk to her, she looked so broken, it was really heartbreaking. “What’s your name?”

“Lucy” she looked confused and she had the sweetest little voice.

“How are you today?” I sat down with her and asked.

“I’m” she paused and looked down at her hands

“It’s okay Lucy, you don’t have to lie to me.” I looked at her and there were tears in here eyes

“Not good” she whispered

“Tell me what’s wrong.” They said she wouldn’t talk to anyone, I don’t know why she’s talking to me but I’m glad that she id.

“I’m having nightmares every night” she hugged me and started crying, and I just let her, she needs someone to cry too. People who say crying does nothing can just go screw themselves; this little girl just needs to cry.

“I’m here” I whispered and I ran my hands through her hair. I don’t know why I felt so drawn to her, she wasn’t the only young child here but she was so scared and even though she isn’t saying much I can tell she’s a sweetheart.

She cried as she told me about how she had a sixteen year old brother who they sent somewhere else and how much she missed him and I was furious, they separated siblings and left a seven year old girl on her own when she had a brother? Hell no.

“Lex.” I called and she was coloring with some of the other younger kids, she smiled at them and came over to us “This is Lucy and she’s new, can you sit with her for a minute please?”

“Of course, Hi Lucy, I’m Alexis.” Lex smiled at her and sat beside her

 “I’ll be right back” I gave her a smile and went to the main office so I could figure out what was going on with her brother.

“Hello Arianna, it’s nice to see you today.” Miss. Cathy, as the kids called her, said when I tracked her down.

“Why did Lucy and her brother get separated?” I didn’t waste any time and she frowned before looking for her file.

“Lucy and Mason, the other home only took in boys and they were full as well, we were the closest facility for Lucy.” We took any age, any gender. I didn’t like places who only took children between certain ages and certain genders; it made problems like this one.

“I want him moved here and I want that number.” I know it wasn’t her fault, it’s not like we turned Mason away but no one was going to keep her from the only family she has left. Any child if I have any say.