Chapter 28

When Mimi and I emerge, the guests are pushing through the back doors, trying to force themselves to the front of the family photograph.

"Shouldn't you be out there?" I ask Mimi shyly. "Standing next to the happy couple?"

"What happy couple?" Mimi snorts, making me laugh.

Instead, we just stand at the back of the church watching as people throw confetti and cheer.

"Where is Molly, dear?"

"Oh, actually can we go and get her? She's with my boyfriend."

Mimi nods and we head out, making our way to Brad, who's 'holding' her.

He seems to not realise she's in his arms as he jumps up and down, whooping as the couple pose for photographs.

Molly's head bounces dangerously up and down, and I nearly scream, thinking she's going to fall.

"Oh my god!" I gasp, making Mimi look over to Brad.

I run over to him, swiftly removing my daughter from his arms.

"Brad! What do you think you're playing at? Throwing her round like that." I cradle her close to me, holding her head and swaying her as she begins to cry from the handling.

Brad looks at me, and before any emotion can register, he throws his head forward as Mimi smacks the back of his head.

"You idiot! You could have dropped her! Some father you are!"

I can't help but smirk at Mimi's actions, though I keep rocking my daughter.

"I'm not her father." Brad states non-chalantly, shutting Mimi and I up immediately.

My mouth is open in shock at his words. He always seemed so invested in us, as a family, but now he's changed his mind. We were never perfect, but we were happy.

"That's damn right, and from what I've heard, John has been a better father to Molly 4,000 miles away, than you have in the same house!"

Brad sways on the spot as if drunk (which wouldn't surprise me), not seeming to register anything Mimi's saying.

"Well come on, what have you got to say for yourself?" Mimi asks, impatiently placing her hands on her hips. Even I'm scared, and she's on my side!

When Brad doesn't respond, only offering a wide smile, emitting breath which reeked with alcohol.

"You reek of alcohol! You're a disgrace." Mimi spits, swatting air away from her face and turning around.

As Mimi and I turn around in disgust to watch the ensemble of people clamber for a picture of John and Cynthia, we freeze when we see all eyes on us.

Face red with embarrassment, I try to think of something to say, but Mimi does the job for me.

"Well, carry on! We've got things to get on with!"
............

Once Molly had calmed down a bit, John asked for her to be in some pictures, and of course I handed her over. She was bridesmaid after all.

I beam with pride as John holds her up in front of the cameras, though my heart twists when I see Cynthia hold Molly's hand, waving it to the photographers.

"It won't last you know." Mimi states, placing a cigarette in her mouth and lighting it.

I turn to her, face etched with doubt.

"They seem pretty solid to me..."

"Trust me love, aunts intuition." She smiles.

After another ten minutes or so, a white car pulls up outside the front of the church, ready to whisk John and Cynthia off to where the party is being held.

It's followed by more cars in which some special guests (including Mimi, Molly, Brad and I) would travel.

The couple is escorted into the car, and I see them holding hands tightly as they wave everyone off. Before departing, John looks towards me, though is unable to meet my eye.

I bounce our daughter on my hip as they drive away and we're guided to our allocated car.

We're in the same car as Mimi, and I can't tell if I'm grateful or not, for Brad's sake.
...........

Okay I really love Aunt Mimi 😂