Chapter 29

We've assumed our places at our assigned tables, awaiting for the speeches and more importantly, the food.

The first course is served, and I eat in silence, Mimi on one side of me, Brad on the other. Molly's sat next to John in a high chair, earning a few little giggles from those around as she throws her food around, nearly splattering the groom.

I'd see Mimi cast a glance over at me every so often, probably to check I wasn't crying into my soup.

Brad and I haven't spoken at all since we arrived, in fact I don't think I've spoken to anyone. Hopefully a few drinks will help me feel a little bit better about the fact that the man I love just married another woman, right in front of my eyes.

The first course is cleared away, and John stand to make a speech, catching our attention by hitting his glass with his knife.

"Speech!" Brad shouts, making me and Mimi jump, and I hear her utter a curse word under her breath.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we'd like to thank you all for being here today on our special day."

I hear Mimi tut her teeth and look down at her lap, and I try to hold back my laughter.

"I think you'll all agree it's been a beautiful day, so I'd like to thank my new wife, Cynthia for arranging it and agreeing to be here in the first place."

The guests applaud and whistle, and I laugh when the noise scares Molly, so she throws her hands over her ears.

When the noise calms down a bit, John chuckles and moves her hands away.

"We'd also like to thank YN, for being an amazing mother to this little one, and for flying out here to join us."

My face flushes red as people applaud me, and cheer even louder than before, making Molly scream and cry.

John laughs, and undoes the strap keeping her in the high chair, lifting her out and placing her on his hip.

There's a collective "ahhh" as she squishes up to him, wiping at her eyes. She's tired.

When she's quietened down some, John looks down at her.

"Finished?" He chuckles, making some of the guests laugh. I watch as Cynthia's smile widens, and she reaches up to hold John's free hand.

He continues speaking for a few minutes, talking about how they met and how thrilled he is they did. What a load of bullshit, I think to myself.

I stare at my hands which are folded in my lap, and I tangle and untangle my finger, begging for the end of today to come quickly.

.........

A few hours later, an extra room is opened up with a dancefloor and music blaring. People already feeling the effects of the alcohol are up and dancing away, laughing as they do so.

I'm sat at the side, holding Molly on my lap as she struggles to stay awake. I too, am tempted to nod off. This whole day has been exhausting, and as John reminded us at the end of his speech, "it's only just begun."

"Here you are, dear." Mimi says as she hands me a glass of sherry.

"Oh, I'd rather not drink when Molly's here." I smile.

"Hand her over here. I'll look after her tonight, you need to have a night off." She plonks down on the wooden chair next to me, arms outstretched.

I hand my daughter over, and watch as she immediately falls asleep in Mimi's arms.

"Wow, you're a natural." I laugh, taking a small sip of my drink.

"What can I say with John as a foster son?"
...........

I force myself to the edge of the dancefloor, where I shuffle awkwardly, not being able to dance in front of all these people.

Brad is nowhere to be seen, so I just step from side to side in time to the music.

After a minute or two, I feel somebody tap my shoulder. I turn round to be greeted with John, smiling widely.

"May I dance with you?"

"I don't know, ask your wife." I smile sarcastically.

John chuckles and takes my hands, with no further objection from me. We're not stood close to each other, just a friendly, platonic distance apart.

"So what did you think?"

"What did I think?" I whisper harshly. "What did I think? Watching the man I love marry another woman when I was sure he was going to pick me? Oh yeah, I'm thrilled!"

I just about hear him clear his throat awkwardly over the music.

"Listen, YN. I know this isn't quite how we planned, but things will work out. I'll still be here for you, and for Molly."

"I know." I sigh and lower my gaze, tears in my eyes.

"But I love you." I sniffle, looking up at him.

We stop dancing, and he wraps his arms around my neck, embracing me.

"This isn't the end YN. Trust me."