Chapter 22

"Good morning." I smile at Brad, as he helps himself to some water from the tap.

"Not good, no. Never again, YN. Never again." Brad shakes his head as best he can without disturbing the monster hangover brewing in his head.

I laugh and go and wrap my arms round his waist and move from one foot to another while he takes some painkillers.

"Are you sure that's water?" I laugh as he downs the glass swiftly.

Brad nods, before clutching his head at the pain searing through it.

"Come on, baby. Go and sit down. I need to feed Molly."

I usher Brad out of the kitchen, before running upstairs to get Molly. I bump into John on the landing, and he doesn't seem too hungover.

"Morning, John." I beam.

"Morning, YN." He greets with a kind smile, leaning down to kiss my cheek.

"Oh!" I giggle awkwardly as he catches me off guard.

"How was your night?" I ask.

"Nice! Brad's a fun guy."

"Yeah, that he is." I smile.

We stand there twiddling our fingers for a minute, before I speak again.

"So tomorrow's the big day! How're you feeling?"

"I- I don't know really. I guess it hasn't sunk in yet." John chuckles.

I nod understandingly, smiling at him still. We've been looking at each other for a long time now, but neither of us seem to want to break away first.

However, we're jolted back into reality by the door next to us opening, to reveal a perfectly made up Cynthia, with her beady eyes squinted at my proximity to the door.

"Hello." She greets coldly.

"Hello." I return, trying to match her icy exterior.

A tense silence erupts between the three of us, which John breaks.

"Come on girls, let's get some brekkie."
........

With Molly and myself fed and happy, I leave the house in order to get some fresh air in the vast garden at the back of the house.

I wander round for about ten minutes, rubbing my arms to save getting a cold. Deciding to take a little rest by one of the large oak trees, I plonk down on the dry ground and breathe in the bitterly cold air.

"You'll catch your death out here." I hear John chuckle as he approaches.

"Oh well. I'm from New York, we're used to it." I laugh.

"May I join you?" He asks, pointing to a spot on the ground next to me.

"Sure." I smile, sitting up as he sits down right next to me.

We sit in comfortable silence for a while, watching as the early morning birds flutter around frantically, searching for food.

"Can I ask you a question?" I ask, turning to John and biting my lip anxiously.

"Of course."

"Are you happy?"

"What?"

"I mean...do you look forward to waking up in the mornings? Do you look forward to coming home at night? Do you secretly wish things were different?"

John's turned to me now, face showing signs of confusion, but also of confirmation.

"Well I mean...my life's not perfect. Whose is?"

"But are you happy?"

I'm kneeling now, facing John directly, begging him to open up. I could sense a pain ever since I stepped through the doors.

When he does not respond, I immediately know the answer to my question.

"Oh, John..." I sigh, collapsing next to him again and pulling him into a side hug.

He doesn't say anything, just hugs me loosely, placing his head in the crook of my neck.

"What can I do?" I ask, concern lacing my features as I pull back.

John considers for a moment, looking into my eyes.

"This." He whispers against my lips, pressing his heavenly lips onto mine for the first time in months.