Chapter 5

The next day, I awake to something warm holding onto my finger.

Looking to left, I see it is my newborn daughter, still sleeping soundly.

I smile as I watch her chest rising and lowering with every breath, body shaking slightly every so often when she squirms.

Pulling her cot closer to me, I place my hand on her, rubbing it with a tenderness only mother's have.

While I'm watching her, her eyes open droopily, and she smiles goofily before her eyes flutter shut again. I giggle, and cautiously lift her out of her crib, lying her snugly onto my chest.

I run my hands across her back soothingly, and lie back, closing my eyes.

Before long, I shift myself to look at the white clock opposite the bed above the door.

It reads 9:39. My gaze falls to Molly, who is wriggling slightly. I hold her closer to my chest, and stroke her head (which is home of a few brown hairs, already resembling her father's.)

"Hello, darling." I whisper, giggling when she gurgles as if responding.

"We all love you so, so much. And life's going to be hard, but you stick with me, us girls have to help each other." I chuckle.

I'm distracted by a gentle knock on the door.

"Miss YN. It's feeding time." The nurse smiles.

I nod, and prepare myself.

Ten minutes later, she's drifted off again, so I place her in her cot again.

I feel myself also drifting off into the land of sleep, when there's another knocking sound and the creak of the wooden door opening.

"Hello, love." John greets, adorning balloons, teddies and cards.

I chuckle and greet him quietly, indicating to whipser as to not wake Molly.

"Brad's just parking the car, he'll be in a minute."

I nod, and an awkward silence fills the room.

"Oh! I bought these." He declares, after clearing his throat.

He hands me a large box of chocolates, and a huge card. He then stand and tip toes over to Molly's crib.

"And I bought these for you, little one." John whispers, admiring his daughter. He delicately places two teddy bears in the bottom of the cot by her feet. Before he moves away, John places his hand on the top of her head, massaging it softly.

Before he returns to his seat, he places the balloon at the bottom of my bed, and makes a show of deciding where to put it. His little performance makes me laugh out loud, making Molly wake and begin to wail.

"Oh no." I groan, going to pick her up.

"No, no. Let me." John insists, rushing over to her and lifting her out of her bed.

He shushes his daughter, bouncing her up and down. His forearms flex attractively as he quietens her down. Strolling over to the window overlooking the car park, John begins to gently sing to her.

"I once had a girl, or should I say she once had me?" He sings, the grace of his voice immediately making Molly be quiet. I can imagine her being transfixed by his voice, as was I when we first met.

"She showed me her room, isn't it good, Norwegian Wood."

He continues to sing some more, and he turns round to look at me, still singing.

"She asked me to stay and she told me to sit anywhere."

John's face has gone serious, and his eyes are boring into mine, even if he is a way away.

"So I looked around and I noticed there wasn't a chair."

His voice drifts off, and he's still looking at me with Molly in his arms.

We're staring at each other, and it's now I realise why he's singing this new song.

It's based on our time together.

I was interviewing the band, it didn't go so well and he ended up in my flat.

I'd only just moved into the flat, and none of my furniture had been unpacked (except the bed, which had it's pride of place in the corner of the room,) hence the line "so I looked around and I noticed there wasn't a chair."

I don't know the rest of the words, and I don't recognise the song.

"It's a new one." John interupts my thoughts.

"Huh?"

"It's a new one. I wrote it about us."

John comes and lowers himself into the chair, cradling Molly still.

"Oh..." I utter, looking into my lap, slightly embarrassed.

"I am sorry, you know." I hear him offer sincerely.

I shoot my head up and smile.

"I know."

..................

I hope you're enjoying it so far, I hadn't written any in a while, and this chapter should explain the name change lollllll x