Chapter 27

"I do."

The world around me shatters, and the breath is knocked from my lungs. My eyes shutter closed, as the tears begin to pour down my cheeks.

I struggle to stand, but I try to remain standing while all is quiet. Everything is black.

"Right, well. That's good!" The priest laughs, earning a chuckle from everyone but me.

"And now, is there anyone who objects the marriage?"

I'm convinced I'm going to stop this. This can't go ahead.

But my legs don't move.

Mentally, I scream and beg my body to react and jump forward, ripping Cynthia away. But it doesn't.

"You may now kiss the bride."

My heart lurches and my mouth is clenched shut to prevent the unholy screaming that I would project throughout the church.

The whoops and cheers and applause surround me, suffocating me. I hold onto Brad, who also is cheering and whooping.

Feeling like fainting imminently, I turn to the side, and rush outside, hoping no one notices.

I reach the outside, and the nausea overwhelms me. Running to the bathroom, I spill the contents of my stomach and collapse onto the floor, sobbing.

"NO!" I scream, thrashing my hands against the door.

"NO! NO! NO!"

Hysterical, I hang my head and scream through bared teeth, not giving a fuck if anyone can hear me.

"YN? Are you in here?" I hear a female voice call. She's the poshest person I've heard, and her voice makes me stop. I question whether I'm hallucinating.

"YN? Is that you there?"

I open the door slightly, to see a middle-aged lady wearing a brown beret, with a matching fur coat.

"Love, come out here for a minute. Let me have a look at you."

Although I still don't know who she is, I feel compelled to follow her instructions, her dominance greatly intimidating.

"Oh, look at your mascara. It's all smudged." She moves to the sink, where she dampens a handkerchief, and swiftly turns to me, wiping my smudged make up away.

Stunned by her actions, I'm glued to the spot, mouth agape.

"Close your mouth, you'll catch flies, you will." The mystery lady chuckles.

"How-how do you know my name?"

"Oh, I've heard all about you. And your daughter."

Sounding frustrated with my confusion, she turns her teeth.

"I'm John's Aunt Mimi."

My mouth widens even further at her revelation. The strict auntie I'd heard so much about was now stood in front of me, wiping away my tears.

"I'm YN." I introduce dumbly.

"Yes, I know. I was calling you."

I laugh nervously, looking away.

"John tells me all about you and Molly, you know. Every week, it's Molly this, YN that."

I smile slightly, but then have to bite back the tears when I recall those two words he just uttered.

"I never hear much of Cynthia though. Funny." Mimi comments with a shrug.

Seeing my crestfallen appearance, Mimi sighs sympathetically, and rubs my arm, something I wouldn't expect from her of all people.

"He loves you, you know. Not Cynthia."

"No, he loves Cynthia. He just married her."

"But it's you he loves. It's you he gushes over on the phone. And Molly."

"So why did he marry her?" I ask, beginning to sob again.

Mimi takes a pack of tissues from her bag and hands them to me, slightly begrudgingly, but I still appreciate the gesture greatly.

"I don't know. John gets these...silly ideas. He always has. He can't tell right from wrong, I blame his mother personally."

I've calmed down somewhat now, and I'm looking her in her aged eyes. They must have seen a lot, especially with John as a nephew.

"If it's any consolation, I'm not her number one fan either." She smiles warmly at me for the first time, and I smile back. Her smile calms me down completely, and I can see why John would be scared of her, but I think she's wonderful.

"Why are you helping me?"

"Any love of John's, is a love of mine." Mimi smiles. "You've tamed him so much. I've never known him to be so calm! It's like meeting you, and having a child completely changed him, and I want you to know... I'm grateful."

Everything John told me about his auntie being a hawk, being nasty and horrible is completely untrue in my eyes. The one person who came to help me was her.

"Now listen, you stick with me today. We'll get through whatever this hell is together." She tuts her teeth overdramatically, linking her arm through mine and leading me out.

.......

Okay even I didn't know Mimi was gonna be in this but I love her 😂