Chapter 26

Before exiting the house, I pull John aside to ask an urgent question.

"John, will there be reporters?"

"No. This ceremony's been kept secret. You're in no danger. But if anyone asks, you're a penpal." He chuckles, rubbing my shoulder.

Sighing a breath of relief, I nod and thank him, before heading back out.
........

We've all piled into the car (with John in the passenger seat, and Brad, Molly and I in the back). Molly gazes out of the window watching as the trees whizz past, and her eyes try frantically to follow them.

I look over to John, who is also staring out the window. His leg is bouncing up and down repeatedly, implying his nerves are increasing the closer we get to the venue.

"Five minutes, Mr Lennon." The chauffeur informs us, and we all sit up straight in our seats.

I watch as John runs a sweaty palm through his hair, and bites his mail with anxiety.

"John, you okay?" I ask, concerned.

"Oh yeah! Just nerves is all..."

I nod reluctantly, not fully believing him.

Brad hasn't uttered a single word this whole car ride, which I'm half thankful for.

Eventually, we take a sharp right turn into a long, stretching driveway, with a view of a small church on the horizon.

Upon seeing it, I hear John clear his throat and shift in his seat.

As the car rolls up, a few of the guests who had already arrived step back, making room. I take a quick look round, and they all seem friendly.

John doesn't budge, he's glued to his seat.

Brad's already climbing (or rather, stumbling) out, and Molly goes to follow him, but I stop her, instead helping her out the other side.

I go round to John's door, and open it.

He exhales deeply, before reluctantly climbing out.

"John! Hi! Congratulations!" Various guests call, only to be met with a small, shy smile from John, who's rushing to get inside.

"John, hang on." I pull him aside again, pushing through the guests filtering into the church.

"You don't want this, do you?" I ask, once we've reached the back room

He looks sadly into my eyes, biting his lip, before shaking his head and hanging his head in shame.

"Then, why are we here? You can walk out those doors right now and do what you want." I remind him.

He remains silent.

"Come on, John. You know you don't deserve this. You deserve to be happy, and if this isn't happiness, walk away."

John stands there, shifting awkwardly for a moment, an internal battle occuring in his head.

He eventually looks up at me, and is about to speak, when the door opens suddenly.

"John! Hurry up! Cytnhia's here!"
........

Taking my seat, I watch as John hovers at the front of the altar, unable to focus on anything but the floor.

There's a collective buzz around us as people await the bride.

"Will you stand for the bride?"

Everybody looks up in unison, and turn around to watch as a beautiful Cynthia Powell walks up the aisle, towards her soon-to-be husband. She has a wide smile on her face and keeps looking up in order to suppress the tears that threaten to fall.

Casting a look to John, he's also watching her, but the smile he has etched on his face is forced.

As she reaches the front, and the music of the organ ceases, we all sit down. While Cynthia watches John lovingly as the ceremony begins, he stares straight ahead, not bearing to look at her even once.

I watch with an unprecedented amount of pain as they continue, and then come the vows.

Clenching my eyes shut as Cynthia recites hers, each promise that is listed breaks another piece of my heart.

The attention turns to John, and I open my eyes to observe.

The same words are recited to him, and his eyes search the area in front of him, rather than focussing on his wife.

"John Winston Lennon, do you take Cynthia Lillian Powell to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

Time stands still, as his gaze moves to me, perched on the edge of my seat, subtly shaking my head at him. Begging him.

His eyes return to Cynthia, who's staring at him with all the love in the world.

And just as I'm convinced he's going to say no, he says those two little words.

"I do."