Chapter 19

It's been two years since Chell was set free by Glados. They are both twenty years old now. From now on, they will stop aging because of Chell being in cryogenic storage and Glados being plugged in. Chell has a house of her own now, right next to the wheat field. All she could think about for the past two years was Glados. She was very worried for her.

       Currently, she was looking out of her living room window, looking at the golden field, knowing that somewhere down there was Glados. Her arms were folded, resting on the couch and gazing outside; she was lost in thought.

       She finally decided she couldn't take it anymore. She needed to go back. Chell ran upstairs, put her long fall boots on and ran out of the door, locking her house up before running out into the field, towards the shed. She was running as fast as she could, wanting to get there quick. She wasn't very used to her long fall boots anymore so she tripped up a couple of times along the way, eventually getting the hang of it again. 

       She eventually reached the shed, catching her breath as she rested against the door for a minute. She opened the door, pretty surprised that it was unlocked. Last time she tried two years ago, she would pull as hard as she could and nothing happened. The elevator was already up there, so she stepped inside and the door closed. It brought her down to Glados' chamber.

       Glados didn't even seem to realize Chell was there. She was singing quietly to herself. Chell was quiet and stayed put as the elevator door opened. Glados turned around and saw her standing there. She crossed her arms and glared at her, seeming upset.

       "Why did you come back? I let you go. I let you be free. Why are you here?"

       "I was worried about you. I know that you told me not to come back but I couldn't just sit there and do nothing knowing that you are most likely really upset."

       Glados turned away, not wanting to look at Chell because she knows that if she does, she will start to cry. "I'm not upset..."

       "Are you sure? The last time I saw you, down in old Aperture, you seemed really sad. You can talk to me about it if you'd like to?" Chell offered.

       "I said I'm fine. Leave me alone..."

       Chell stepped back a little bit, feeling bad that she couldn't help. "Okay, well, I guess I'll see you later..." Chell walked off towards the door. Once she reached it, it opened and lead her out to a hallway. She stepped through and the doors closed behind her. Chell didn't leave completely; she was right there, listening.

       Chell heard faint crying behind the door. Glados lied to her; she wasn't alright. Chell walked back into her room and went up to Glados, hugging her before she could react. 

       Glados looked surprised before getting emotional and hugging her back, crying into her shoulder. There wasn't a point in holding it back anymore. Her back was shaking with sobs as she held onto Chell. 

       "I'm sorry... I didn't want to hurt you... I didn't..." Glados could barely speak.

       "It's alright. You didn't hurt me... It's okay... shhhh..." Chell kept hugging onto her and rubbed her back to calm her more.

       "But, your scars?" She was talking about the ones on her face.

       "Glados, you know that wasn't because of you. That was Wheatley..."

       Glados sighed shakily and squeezed onto her, not wanting to let go.

       "Everything is going to be okay. I promise you."

       "Alright..."

       Glados eventually calmed down, wiping the tears off of her face. She pulled away from Chell's hug and straightened herself up. Chell looked at her, still concerned, wanting to just be there for her.

       "Why do you care about me? I've done all these terrible things, yet you come back and say it's alright?"

       "Because you are my best friend. You have been my best friend since we were five years old. I know that you remember that from being down in old Aperture." 

       "Yeah... I remembered everything..."

       "I actually talked to your parents, Caroline and Cave Johnson after you let me out. I wanted to see how they were doing." Chell grabbed the drawing out of her pocket. She grabbed it when she went up to grab her boots. Chell handed it to her. "I also found this."

       "You did?" Glados grabbed the drawing and unfolded it. She looked surprised. "You drew this..." Another wave of emotion came over her.

      "Yeah. Drew it the day we met. Do you remember that?"

       Glados nodded as a few tears came up in her eyes. She made an attempt to wipe them away, but more tears clouded her vision, dropping down onto the picture. 

       Chell put a hand onto her arm comfortingly, not wanting her to cry. 

       "Why did this have to happen to me? Out of everyone else here, why me?..." Glados said through a trembling voice.

       "I don't know..." Chell started to get overwhelmed by thinking about it. "I'm so sorry..."

       Glados squeezed onto Chell again, sobbing. Chell hugged her back with one hand on her head and the other on her back. She started to cry this time as well. Glados didn't understand anything. Didn't understand why her life had to be this hard. Why they chose her to be plugged in when she was still just a child. Why she couldn't be normal like everyone else. 

       She ended up tiring herself out from crying so much. Glados let go of Chell and wiped her eyes. "I'm sorry for worrying you. Maybe if I was never your friend you wouldn't have to worry about me so much..."

       It hurt Chell to hear her say that. "Don't say that. Yes, I'm worried about you, but I just want to be there for you." Chell looked into her eyes. "I will always be here for you when you need me. I promise you."

       Glados nodded with tears clouding up her vision. She quickly hugged onto Chell again. "Okay..."

       Chell held her there. This was only the beginning of it all...