Chapter 4: The Queen Of Air And Darkness

I Do Not Own Nanatsu No Taizai/Seven Deadly Sins all rights go to Nakaba Suzuki.

A Few Months Later*

Arthur's POV*(Age: 12)

I stood on the battlements of a castle with Miss Merlin and we were continuing my education of war.

Miss Merlin said, "Arthur, We spend our entire lives debating this and that, in fear, fighting uncertainty. However, in life, nothing is certain, everything is fated. We can either waste precious time in limbo or make a decision and stick with it!".

I asked, "So when I make a decision, I need to be absolutely sure it's the decision that benefits everyone?".

She nodded and said, "But consider this Arthur, there is absolutely no reason for you to waste your time and energy on people who bring you down. Rather, fill your life with the believers and doers, people who inspire you and bring positive energy to your life. Otherwise, you may resort to a tyrannical rule.".

I had an idea about something but kept it in the back of my mind for later.

Merlin said, "Listen to your heart, Arthur, and your conscience. Listen to that voice you hear as you walk on the road of uncertainty. Though the road ahead seems perilous, there is always a solution to a problem.".

I nodded and asked, "So no matter how difficult a task may seem, there's always hope?".

She nodded and said, "But the true part of that is to never let impossible odds hold you back.".

I looked out to the horizon thinking about that.

Merlin asked, "What kind of king do you wanna be King Arthur?".

I turned to her with a smile and said, "A great king. I wanna build a kingdom where everyone's happy and there is no sadness in anyone. I wanna build a kingdom where everyone is equal. I wanna show you a world you've never seen, Miss Merlin.".

She smiled ruffling my hair.

She said, "I'll hold you to that.".

We both looked out to the horizon.

Merlin asked, "Have you counted the number of men who fell in the Gaelic attack, yet?".

I sadly said, "No. Sorry.".

She said, "You must concern yourself with these matters if you are to become a King among kings and build that world you want me to see. War will always be apparent whether it's with foreign nations or your own subjects. Wars are the greatest wickedness of this world. There is never an excuse for war, it's just humans fighting because it is their very nature to do so. You have become the king of a domain in which the nobility fight each other for fun, and neither the racial maniac nor the overlord stops to consider the lot of the common soldier, who is the one person that gets hurt. Unless you can make the world better than it is at present, your reign will be an endless series of petty battles.".

I grew determined and asked, "What if I won the war to end all other wars?".

She looked at the determined look in my eyes and said, "That would be a splendid way to end all wars but the cost would be too high to pay.".

I said, "I'll pay that cost even if it costs me my life.".

Merlin said, "Arthur, a long time ago, the Gaels who fought with copper hatchets were defeated by another clan of Gaels with bronze swords, who were then driven West by Teutons with iron weapons, who were themselves attacked by the Saxons. The Saxons, however, were then conquered by Britannia, leaving the present situation in which the Gaels resent the Gauls. Basically what I'm saying is that Might doesn't make Right.".