Mato X Reader

.

.

.

Mato grunted as he polished his nail, swinging the wipe with a flourish and then finishing. He looked proudly down at it and then threw a glance over his shoulder at his assistant, Y/N.

She had come, wandering up the mountains one day, a broken nail in claw. She had stumbled across Mato's hidden hut, asking for shelter. Mato, feeling excited to see somebody again and pitiful for the weak bug, had let her in and for the past few months, she had been helping him.

She was quite helpful, Mato had to admit. And he did enjoy her company. He blushed thinking about it, but he had been enjoying her a little more each day, and his heart would flutter every time he saw her now. Mato growled thinking about it now, trying to clear the confusing thoughts from his head.

"H-hey Y/N-" He turned around, the finished nail in claw. She flipped around, smiling, and her face smeared with oil from polishing her nail. "What is it Mato?" He fumbled with the nail. "Uh, does this one look good to you?"

Y/N glanced down at it. "Yep, although anything you make is perfect!" Mato blushed. "T-thanks..." Y/N grinned at him. "Of course! Was there anything else you needed?"

Mato gulped and then looked right at Y/N, at least best he could. "What- What do you think about me? L-like am I a good person?" Bug? :p) Y/N squinted at him. "Of course you are! You're amazing, your skill with a nail, your overall personality, and you took me in when I needed it most! I'd say you're absolutely perfect, and that is correct, I know that as a fact!"

Mato blushed underneath his skull like mask, something he was very thankful for at the moment. "A-are you sure about that? Like- there nothing I could improve?" Y/N wandered over to him, her eyes narrowing. "Are you ok, Mato? You've acting strange..."

Mato cringed away from her. "Yes, yes I'm fine, totally... just dealing with some new... stuff?" Y/N shot him a look. "Well, if you're sure... I just don't want you to be sick and then not do anything about it. That would suck." Mato nodded and turned around. "Yes.. yes it would... Y/N?" He asked, slightly cocking his head toward her again.

"Yes?" She said, sitting down next to the gigantic bug. "H-have you ever been in love..?" Mato questioned, hiding his face from his friend. Y/N blushed. "W-why?" Mato shrugged. "I dunno, just wondering." Y/N fiddled with her claws.

"Well... kinda? I am- a-actually- right now... in love- with somebody..." She trailed off at the end, blushing. Mato then felt his world shatter. She was... already in love with somebody else? His heart seemed to droop.

"Oh. That's great." He plainly muttered. Y/N looked confused at him. "Is everything ok...?" Mato got up silently and went back to his room, stopping in the doorway.

"Yes. Everything is fine."

.

.

.