[ ch 35. elliot's advice / something to prove ]

A/N: GUYS, I'm so pumped for this chapter. Starting now, I'm significantly changing the timeline of canon events. I've adapted a LOT of the book's premise with new canon lore being released this year, and I still will do that as best I can.

But, finally, we're get deep into my personal twists on the lore. Hope you enjoy the crazy shit I've been plotting since forever ago, because it's all going down this season, and I couldn't be more thrilled to finally write it.

// downstairs common room, the next day

It's 6 a.m. and I only had a little time to waste. With my hair tied up and a knife and gun strapped to my waist, I rush downstairs in my mostly bare and black bodysuit with some thick padding on the arms, chest and legs. This was the bottom layer of my combat outfit, before I added on my scarf, additional straps, technology or protecting equipment.

As I turn to face the kitchen, immediately, my face runs red.

Elliot was already up, and making breakfast... and completely ass-naked with the exception of a long pastel pink apron. The deep tanned man notices me with raised cut brow and a sly grin.

Worst of all, his back muscles and buttocks caught the sunlit glow of dawn perfectly.

"Hey, Elliot!!" I cry out with my heart in my throat, covering the view of my naked roommate with my hands sticked out. I complain, "You've got to be kidding me. I was almost impressed you're even awak—"

"Did I hear 'impressed'?" He says with dripping smugness, and I hear the clanking of a pan as I continue blocking my vision. "Alright, alright! No need to keep saying it, I'll take it!~"

Even if he can't see it, I roll my eyes. Slowly, I take the long way around the kitchen island, towards the fridge while looking the other way. "Please, Elliot..." I sigh, tiredly avoiding any glances at mirror or vase reflections. "Tell me this isn't your new routine."

I hear footsteps. "Man, I got all dressed up e-expecting you to ask me a different question!"

"Dressed up? Elliot, you're just wearing a damn apron. What did you expect?" Finally, I get to the fridge. I start to open it when I see tan, bare feet standing next to me.

I look over and Elliot's bare-clothed holograph dissipates as the real Elliot, clothed in his typical yellow and black combat gear, shuts the fridge on me. "Thought you'd at least ask me 'what's on the menu?'" he winks. My face pigment deepens. "You know — after all my effort!" He gestures to the speakers he put near the stove to recreate the sound of his holograph cooking, just to sell the whole prank. The smell of bacon was pretty real, at least; I saw it sitting in another pan.

With my last two brain cells, I squeak quietly, "Yeah... no." I grunt as I push off his hand from the fridge handle. "Can't we have a normal breakfast, now that you're dressed?"

He cackles as he shakes his hand and walks to the stove, "A normal breakfast, she says! Wow, I'm so under-ap-appur-"—he shuts his eyes in frustration momentarily—"appreciated in this family."

I roll my eyes with a smile as I open the fridge. "I need you to stay focused, okay? You better not die before my squad gets to you."

"I could say the same for you, princess," he chuckles; I hear plates and pans shifting. I pick up a creamer and cold brew coffee pitcher as I sigh. He continues, "Anyway, I did warn you that this could happen when you invited me to live with you.~"

"Me and Pathfinder," I sigh as I place my cold brew and creamer on the granite-top island, and pick out a tall glass from the nearby drying rack. "Call me optimistic, but I thought that would lessen the risk." I start to pour myself a glass of coffee.