Chapter 3: It girl.

March 15th, 1989

March 15th, 1989. 2:19 P.M.

I itched to get the hell out of here. I couldn't even think straight because of this excruciating wedding ceremony. Straight ahead from me the bride and groom were exchanging vows which they managed to drag on for over half an hour.

The recycled garbage that they were spewing out of their mouths, I've heard all these lines a billion times before. It was the dullest wedding to ever exist, it almost made me never want to get married.

The drapes and gown were all white, and everything else to be exact. It seemed so pure, yet the bride wasn't. She was close friends with Lynn and together they made everyone's lives hell on earth.

I was half expecting my boyfriend to object when the preacher asked for it. He could never keep his damn mouth shut for long about his sister's fiancé not fitting into the family image. I never understand what he meant by that, considering how bad of a reputation they all had.

Curly Shepard was beside me with a hand on one of my knees and his leg repeatedly hitting me because he couldn't sit still for very long either. He wore a hand-me-down suit that I despised, but he never listened to me because I am a girl. That's how things were down here in Oklahoma.

People would always say that we were around thirty years behind in social etiquette and equality. As a female my opinion was regarded as the second most important to a male's opinion. That didn't stop me and a lot of other girls from speaking our minds at any given chance.

I checked the watch that dangled upon my wrist, noticing that this event should've ended at least ten minutes ago. My vision remained on that door.

March 15th, 1989. 2:45 P.M.

At last I found myself in the dining hall on the second floor of the church. As I passed a full length mirror I realised that I may have appeared more like a secretary than a wedding guest in this outfit.

I scrunched my face and then floated towards the window that faced out into the streets. A deep romantic song was playing over the radio and people swayed together on the dance floor while others devoured the buffet and open bar.

Darry and his girl were among them, I lost myself in a day dream. I imagined Darry was holding me close like he was to Kate. I decided to avoid the dance floor once more, I just couldn't take a repeat of last time with my drunk boyfriend rubbing his groin up on me.

March 15th, 1989. 3:43 P.M.

After a gruesome hour the married couple raced down the church steps hand in hand as chapel bells sounded above our heads. I buttoned up my coat and headed over to the behind the general store where Dallas was.

I jogged as fast as my heels could to the other side of the road where he was arguing with a dissatisfied customer. On a closer inspection I realised that the customer was in fact no older than fifteen.

He was jittery and acted real nervous with his hands jammed into his pants. In our line of business we get a tonne of youth who we can't confirm ages of. I've never had to check ID because the cash speaks for itself.

Dallas was permanent in his stance. He wasn't fazed by anything. "I don't know what to tell you." he said which only made the kid more irritated.

"That reefer was bland as hell." he stated frankly, "It didn't work at all. I lit up the dope and it didn't work. You know what I mean?" he said, providing too much information for Dallas to care for.

"Right." Dallas said coolly. He was secretly inspecting this kid a little closer which only made him more insecure with Dally's eyes all over him. Dallas could tell by the appearance of someone's eyes if they had been using or not. "Man. You look pretty high to me."

The kid trembled, struggling to stand up straight. He sure was afraid of Dallas, but then again most were. "I was forced to go to your rivals." he squinted as if Dallas was about to hit him.

"My rivals huh?" Dallas scratches his head, then looks over to me. "Did you hear that Jade? He went to our rivals." Dallas knew how to wedge his demeanour between the two extremes of passive and aggressive.

"Listen buddy." Dallas takes him to the side. "I have a special strain for you. No charge." he said, lacing his voice. He really was trying to hold back the urge to knock this kid out. He shows him the zip lock.

The kids' eyes brightened. He couldn't help his mouth draping open and even drooling a bit. "As I said, on the house." Dallas adds.

I held my tongue between my teeth to try and hold back a cackle as the kid pocketed the stash, then parted ways with us. "Idiot." he sneered. "It's basil. Damn kids. I would've seen that from a mile away at his age." jeered Dallas like he was an old man.

"Speaking of those damn kids. I will collect that payment of mine." I hummed. He placed a wad of cash into my hand, at first it felt a little bit light. I got ahead of myself; it was only my first paycheck. I flicked through the stack to count how short I was. "I'd like my full cut."

By now Dallas had a cigarette between his lips. "No. You broke the scale." he cancelled me out right there. I did in fact happen to break it but the thing was frail to begin with. "Sell more next week and we will talk."

"I work just as much as anyone. I deserved that cash." I defended myself. I should've let it go before he beat me down.

"Alright. I didn't know that cornering the local high school was such big chop for you. Maybe I'll have to demote you if the workload is too much. Wait, that is the lowest amount of work we have. I mean what do I know I'm just the backbone of this operation- dealing with the streets and all." he gloated.

I knew he was hard working but I worked for that cash. "Fine! I will just ask Brian for a raise." I spat.

"Dad is calling." pointed Dallas over to Darry. We all called him dad because we depended on him for a lot. Darry was a different breed, he wouldn't have understood. If it wasn't for all the trouble we caused him then he would've crossed over to the socialites by now.