Chapter 21: Moving In.

April 28th, 1989

April 28th, 1989. 4:09 P.M.

I darted across town at a hundred miles an hour. I didn't even know what for, I was already ten minutes late so another ten wouldn't matter at this point.

As I rounded the corner of our street, I realised I had much bigger problems to worry about. The old truck outside had furniture in it, and cardboard boxes, much too fancy for any of us around here to have.

I stomped up to the porch where Soda had been waiting for me to arrive. Sensing I would react poorly, he stopped me from going in, blocking the door with his arm. 

"Let me in." I whined, attempting to shove him out the way.

"Jade, before you start..." he tried to speak, but I wasn't having it. I ducked beneath his arm and out of room for him to grab me.

In the kitchen, Darry and Kate emptied the last few boxes. He hauled them up onto the countertop, so she could pluck objects from within and pack them away.

The house had her stuff scattered around, it was disturbing the flow of the house. I felt ill just looking at it. I stormed up to them, "And when were you planning to tell me about this!?" I spat, throwing my arms up in the air. Kate's face flushed all colour. She didn't know that Darry hadn't told me about her moving in.

"If you were around more, then maybe I would have told you. It's not like you deserve to know what is going on in this house. You've lost that right." said Darry, obviously annoyed but not surprised at my outburst. 

I knew I couldn't say anything to hurt Darry, so I launched at Kate, shoving a finger into her chest, "Mark my words. You're not going to last a month in this house, if I have anything to say about it." I seethed.

Darry gripped my wrist tightly, and pulled me from her, "That's enough from you!" he exploded at me, "You're already on thin ice!"

I backed down, having spoiled another important moment for both of them. I was losing no matter what. 

April 28th, 1989. 7:19 P.M.

At the dinner table, I moved the food around the plate with a fork instead of eating it. I wasn't in the mood to eat. My stomach cramped in tight knots, that the thought of stuffing my face was out of the question. It was quieter than usual, the tension was caused by me.

Darry piled more green beans onto my plate, "Eat up, you're looking a bit thin lately." he told me. I just sat there and stared at the pile. The silence in the house was deafening. 

After dinner, I slouched at the television with the remote in one hand. I kept flicking through stations, nothing good was on. I was actually beginning to become bored. All the excitement in my life had dulled down and it was only day one.

Darry was in the kitchen with Kate. He hugged her from behind, resting his chin on her shoulder as she snuggled into his warm embrace, "I don't know what to do with that girl." he admitted.

Kate twisted around and wrapped her arms around his neck, as he placed his big hands on her hips, "She'll come around." she pressed her lips on his, "I think she's just not used to the idea of having another girl around."

"You're being so good with her." he said, grabbing the keys to his truck, "I'd better get to the hardware store before it closes. Will you be alright here, alone with her?" he asked.

Kate grins softly, "I'm sure I can manage." she says, quickly giving him another kiss, before he heads out. Both their hearts fluttered at the new step in their relationship.

Darry trots past the living room, "Homework. Brush teeth then bed." he pointed at me. I grumbled and mocked him as he left the house, before returning to the reruns playing on the screen. 

I ambled into the kitchen as Kate was scrubbing the dishes from dinner in the sink with gloves on. I rolled my eyes at how pretentious she appeared. She grew up on the better side of town, how she met, and got involved with someone like Darry would always be a mystery to me.

I never stuck around long enough to hear their sappy love stories. She pretends I'm not there, which was fine by me. I didn't want to speak to her anyways.

I grabbed my purse from the counter, not realising a piece of folded paper had fallen out and drifted onto the kitchen tiles.