Chapter 33: Cranky.

May 29th, 1989

May 29th, 1989. 12:39 P.M.

As we unpacked, Brian could sense I had something on my mind. It was I who spoke first, "Do you remember the other night at all?"

Like some numbing in me, I wasn't even afraid to hear the answer anymore. Brian grins, and I wait for his answer, "I was so drunk, wasn't I?" he chuckled, "I remember not much, but coming home and puking my guts out."

I smiled at his laughter, it was contagious, I wish he did it more often. He lifts a few boxes into his arms, "Did I do something embarrassing?" he wondered.

I was in the clear to make up a different story about the events that unfolded that night. Instead I just looked at him, contemplating if I should tell the truth. I told him no, he didn't.

"Great. Let's take these boxes out back." he gestures to the smaller boxes at his feet. I hauled them into my arms, and followed him out back. He sets the boxes on the ground, and thumbles with a pair of keys. He unlocks the small garden shed, and takes the boxes inside.

I stepped into the tight space, "Are you going to hide stuff in here?" I asked, closing the door.

Brian looks around, happy with the shed, "Thinking about making this into a grow house. Just a small one." he smacks the desk, and dust flies into the air. We both cough as it clears, "The twins know how to grow. I was thinking about having a private stash for just us." he proudly explained. 

"You seem to come up with all the ideas" I said, and began to think about Dallas, how much he took advantage of people in his life. It hadn't occurred to me until now that Brian was also a victim.

"Yeah, well..." he trailed, "...I guess someone has to be a genius."

Brian yanked the door handle, and it came clean off, "Oh, cr*p." he groaned, adjusting his feet and trying to open the door again, "Bad news. We're stuck-"

I turned around as he said that, and attempted to barge it down with my shoulder. Brian stood back, amused with the sight. Not long after I was out of breath, and leaning against it, "We're never going to get out of here!" I complained, Brian was usually the stress case, not me, "Knowing those idiots, they won't come and find us. We will be stuck here forever!"

Brian manoeuvres past me, and lifts his shirt off. I couldn't keep my eyes off of him, not that I had nothing else to look at. He wraps the shirt around his fist, and punches the little window out. 

Brian breaks the glass around the edges, and hoists himself out then unlocks the door. I practically fell out of the shed, and gasped for sweet freedom. Brian helps me up, his feet crunching on the broken glass.

In the house the phone is ringing, he darts inside to get it. I followed behind him, just as the call ended. Brian held the receiver to his chest, "That was quick. Dallas has been arrested. He broke into Lynn's place. She called the cops."

May 29th, 1989. 12:43 P.M.

I waited in the car as Brian went inside to bail Dallas out. He's lucky that they're twenty one now, because he couldn't get him out at a younger age.

The two of them walk over. I can see Dallas is pissed off and cursing like a sailor. He gets cranky when he doesn't get his way.

He rips the door shut, and kicks the back of Brian's seat, "Dumb broad." he spits, wrapping bandage wrap around his hand. He cut it after breaking her window.

"Drive down to her place. I want to see her smug face." he ordered aggressively. Brian is hesitant but turns around in the direction of her house anyhow.

Dallas has this intractable and uncontrollable anger. Whenever he got mad, I got anxious... I was starting to think about Brian did as well...