Chapter 25: Sweet Sweet Pot.

May 4th, 1989

May 4th, 1989. 3:29 P.M.

Resting my weary head on his chest, parts of our skin fused together with sweat. Dallas ruffles my hair. I tell him to do it over and over, he does. I looked up at him. He smells of cologne, stolen from Brian. They smelt the same, except Dallas of cheap cigarettes.

"I think we should visit somewhere far far away." he says. His voice was deep and rich. I could linger in the silkiness of his voice. He spoke as if he didn't have care in the world.

As I swept off into another slumber, I was woken up by banging at the bedroom door. Brian called out for Dallas to get up and that he had a present for him. 

I sat upright as Dallas chucked clothes at me, "They can't know about this. Business comes first." he said. I rubbed my eyes, he was right. Nobody could know about this. It would compromise too much.

The two of us got changed, and Dallas threw me out the window. Our plan was to pretend I had just arrived, and hadn't been in his room. I fix myself before knocking on the front door, feeling quite silly by doing so. I didn't know if I had what it took to play pretend.

Martin opened the door. "Perfect timing." He grins at me.

Brian and Sam were lounging around, waiting for Dallas to come out of the room. A mountain of pot was laid out on the coffee table. "Sweet, sweet pot." Martin rubbed his hands together. 

I sat with Brian, "Don't we already have some?" I asked, having no real experience with it. I only sold dime bags. It didn't even register with me half the time.

"No. No, Jade. This isn't just any weed. This is Electric Narple." said Sam, all wide eyed. They were super interested in it.

"Electric Narple... catchy."

"Jade hasn't smoked before." exposed Brian. The twins look at each other. Both doubted it to be true. I shrugged, concluding it was.

Dallas wandered out of his bedroom just as the twins were trying to talk me into trying it. I didn't have to be home until 9 P.M. I might as well know what I am selling. 

May 4th, 1989. 4:11 P.M.

Thunder cracked over our heads, as the boys passed a joint around the circle. I was last to get it. Brian slid close to me, and held it to my pierced lips, "Breathe in. Hold. Embrace it."

I did as he said and inhaled. Within a moment, I was coughing up a lung to the sound of laughter and told to try again. This time I managed to feel something. 

May 4th, 1989. 4:27 P.M.

I glared at the street. It had begun to pour outside. The rain drops swirled against the glass as I pressed my cheek against the coolness. It felt great. I trailed the window with my fingers.

The boys were relaxed on the couch. Dallas came up behind me. He looked outside as well then came up with the best idea. The two of us whipped the front door open. A cold freeze filtered through the house. I followed him to the road.

Each raindrop felt so good upon my skin, I started to wail my limbs around. Dallas did the same. We splashed in puddles, spun in circles, twirled and leapt, all in our drenched clothes.

He takes my hand. I liked the feeling of his skin on mine. The twins watch us, as Brian is yelling to get inside. God was giving Tulsa the last taste of winter before we descended into scorching heat.