Chapter 6: Little girl.

March 20th, 1989

March 20th, 1989. 8:03 A.M.

I dropped by Dallas and Brian's place on the way to school. I didn't ring the doorbell or anything, I couldn't even look at them after what happened. I just dumped the bag full of drugs and cash on their front doormat. I didn't give a damn if someone came along and stole it all before they got to it. I was so mad about how they never showed me respect but always expected it back.

I found it so hard to believe that the greaser girls around here were given more. All they did was prance around in too much makeup, picked fights with the guys and swore fluently. Yet somehow the guys respected their tough and loud personalities. I wasn't exactly a quiet girl myself but I wasn't out making a fool of myself either. Maybe I was just being melodramatic, but I needed to make a point somehow.

March 20th, 1989. 7:41 P.M.

Darry was cleaning the dishes after dinner when the phone rang. He picked it up before I could make it, then spent the next fifteen minutes giving Curly the third degree for calling on a school night.

He eventually allowed us to speak and handed me the phone. As I listened to the end I was half expecting to get my own ear blown off. What I got instead was even more sinister. "That wasn't cool, Jade. What you pulled this morning and last night could get you whacked."

I became flat with panic, and shoved myself into the kitchen cupboard. An intense fear came over me. He wasn't someone you messed with. Maybe I was in over my head with all this. "I'm sorry." I muttered, "I didn't know."

Even though we dated he wasn't a real caring type of guy. He kept a cold distance. I wished he would speak to me more. It seemed as if we were more friends than boyfriend and girlfriend. I wondered if he would've called me if it hadn't to do with the mess I made.

"I'm taking you out tomorrow. I'll pick you up at seven. Wear something nice." Curly slams down the phone. I just stand there in the pantry feeling numb, and confused at him. I heard a series of thumps from the front door and I thought that Steve must've been over. He was always wrestling with someone. The house was never quiet with him around.

I wondered what Curly meant by taking me out. It didn't sound so innocent now that I played it over in my head. I had the sudden realisation that tomorrow was another school night and that Darry wouldn't let me go. For some reason I felt as if I had to or else I was in for a world of pain.

Darry worried about Curly's reputation. He wasn't the kind to hold onto a virgin for very long. In some odd, remarkable way he hadn't forced me into anything yet. He never respected the choice I made but stops when the advances become too much.

The girls around here had three choices. Get knocked up. Go to jail or die. In my case I wanted to break the tradition and make something of myself. I knew it wasn't going to be easy but at least it's worth a shot.

I left the pantry and moved into the living room where Darry, Kate, Steve and Soda were all watching the television. The one we had was small and didn't show colour. You could barely see the image on it.

I lingered near Darry until he noticed, that's when I knelt down next to him. "I want to know if I could possibly go out tomorrow" I asked expecting a flat no. There was silence and then no reply. Darry was probably thinking about all the ways he could tell me no way in hell kid. I felt compelled to elaborate despite already knowing his answer. "I feel as if it would be a great way for me to grow some independence."

"Be home by 10 sharp." he surprised me with. I wrapped my arms around his head, and pecked him on the cheek. He squints. "Do your homework before you go!"

March 21st, 1989. 5:51 P.M.

When I arrived home I went down to my bedroom and ripped through the closet in search of something nice. What was I even dressing for? I thought to myself. Curly didn't care. I was extremely ticked off about it because I didn't know what he expected.

I came to the realisation that I was terrified of him. How would we be if we got married? We'd be like Johnny Cade's parents. I never saw anyone fight like those two. And that was the road I was heading down.

I curled my hair in front of the vanity which was now smothered in makeup and jewellery for the boy who didn't show me any love. I tried so very hard for him and I didn't even know why. My cheeks got powdered a off beige- the same as my lips. The dress looked fine as I smoothed it down.

March 21st, 1989. 6:49 P.M.

"No." Darry protested. "Go back to your room and put something else on."

I glanced at my clothes. None of them seemed revealing at all.

"You're sending the wrong message." Kate decided to butt in. I scoffed at her and stormed back into the bedroom. 

Darry groaned very loud. He hated when I got like this. "I can't deal with hormonal teenagers today." He said, rubbing the tension from his forehead temples.

Instead of going back out to their inspection. I just climbed out the window. I couldn't stand that Kate was always around the house. She had even begun to leave her junk all over the place. I've wanted Darry for as long as I can remember, yet he sees me as this little girl instead.