Chapter 36: Cars and Boys.

June 5th, 1989

June 5th, 1989. 2:26 P.M.

After the fight last night, the boys told me to meet them at the DX where Sodapop and Steve worked. I didn't think much of the location, as I typically visited there on a regular basis.

When I walked up the dusty port, I saw Dallas leaning against a gas pump with Brian and Steve. The two had dark purple sprawled across their faces. "I know you didn't get all those bruises and scrapes last night." I said, "You made up by fighting?"

I feel Brian's bruises as they were much worse than any Dallas had. He winced at the touch, "I wish you wouldn't fight." I frowned.

"That's how we do it." Dallas spoke, trying to light up a cigarette between his lips.

Steve snapped at him, "Hey, what the hell?"

"What?" growled Dallas.

"You can't light up at a gas station." Brian reminded him. Dallas groaned, and bummed out the smoke.

Sodapop rolls up in a car. He parked it and wandered up to us, "It's yours, Jade." he said.

I stood back, wondering if I had heard that wrong, "What!?"

"It's all yours." he repeated with a smile.

My eyes expanded, still not believing them.

"She likes?" laughed Steve.

I almost jumped in the air, as I raced over to it. I ran a hand over the smooth hood, then practically hugged it. Steve and Soda fixed it up real nice.

"Yes! Oh my god!" I cried, actual tears, "Thank you so much! I can't believe it!"

I ran back over to them, then sprang into Sodapop's arms, then Steve's then Brian and lastly Dallas. I even went back for a second time and planted kisses on their cheeks.

"Yeah, yeah." Steve said, dirty from the hard work, "Brian and Dallas sorted it out. We just fixed it up."

"It's so you can get around easier." grinned Brian.

I squealed in happiness, "And Darry said it was alright?"

The four of them nodded to confirm. I felt so good I could've exploded right there and then.

Steve offers to take me for a ride around the block. He tosses over the new car keys, "You're driving." he said.

I jigged in my driver's seat with excitement. Steve had one hand out the window, saluting to the boys as I rolled away from the DX. I loved the feeling of my hands turning the wheel and my feet pressing down on the break. I almost cried about it.