23. After the Hurricane

Nikko

>>>>>>>>> Picture of Ebony >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

         "Are you sure that's the same girl you saw him hugging at the airport," Jyrell asked Kinzy for the fourth time. She nodded again, "Yes, I remember because that was the day I met with Ebony for lunch," she replied again, the same way she had the last several times. Each time she had looked at me out the corner of her eye too. Making me believe that I'd been the discussion at their lunch that day. Jyrell sighed, and slammed his hand on the counter top of the town home. "Damn it," he got up, making the chair hit the floor. I sighed knowing what my homie was going through. Shit, if I was in this situation with Michigan I have no idea how I would handle it. "Jyrell baby calm down," she said following him into the little town home dining area.

        I'd heard all that i needed to hear though, I wanted to go get this dude now. I was trying to remind myself this was my nigga's brother but, I wasn't one of them sympathetic type of niggas. He'd disrespected Jyrell anyway by sending someone into the home where his nephew laid his head, and countless times James had disrespected their mother. "Jyrell," I called out following the two of them. He was leaning his head against the wall, Kinzy holding him from the side trying to calm him down probably. Kinzy looked up at me and I nodded for her to give us a minute. She kissed Jyrell's cheek and then left us to talk. "Sit down man," I said, barely above a whisper. "Nah, I already know what you're going to say. Let's just go handle this shit," he cleared his throat. "Look, i get it. This shit's hard and we can question him first if you need to have answers."

        "FUCK HIM! He put my family in danger," he snapped pulling his gun from his waist. "Let's go find his ass now," he declared. "Where do you think he might be," I asked? I wasn't going to argue with my dude if he knew what he wanted. It was all a matter of handling the shit now. "Knowing him, a strip club. Might even be Rough Riders," he said going to get his keys. The name of the club Ebony works at made me recall three days ago, when we got into an argument. I'd been thinking about what my sister and Jovani had told me when I gave them the news of the incoming baby. My sister slapped the hell out of me for getting a chick pregnant out of wedlock, and my cousin already had a gut feeling who it was with. In his mind me and Ebony were a reenactment of mi abuela and abuelo. It was nothing of the sort though and like I told Ebony I wasn't looking to settle down with no chick especially not her. My sister and Jovani told me they had my back on keeping this hidden from the family, and thank goodness because I did not want to get married any time soon. Besides Ebony would be lucky, because in my family we showed our love with our fist. She didn't need to be brought into that, not that she wasn't already attracted to danger.

         I shook my head loose of those childish thoughts and headed to the door to catch up with Jyrell. The scene in front of me broke my heart when I saw it though. It made me lower the hand on my waist, going for my gun. Jyrell's mother, Janice, was holding him back by one arm bawling heavily. "Jyrell don't go out there and do something stupid. He's your blood no matter what he's done. When your father died he took care of us...," she begged, but Jyrell cut her off. "Ma James is the reason dad is dead! When he hid behind cell walls too keep himself safe, he got dad murdered for his mistakes! He just tried to hurt more of our family and you begging for his life? Ma, not even God could save 'em all from being corrupted, and James ain't my blood if he's willing to hurt my son and wife over some bullshit," Jyrell snapped, snatching away from his mother. "How many chances you gonna give him ma? What's got to happen? He gotta kill me, huh? Or nah, he got to point the gun dead in between your eyes before you see how much of a pussy he is," Jyrell growled before throwing his fist into a wall. "We out," Jyrell spat, snatching open the door and storming out.