39. Distractions

Ebony

   I watched as Nikko attempted to fix his tie for the fourth time. His eyes were clearly far away but he stood in the mirror, as if he were really watching himself. He was in mourning. Today was the day of Poochie's funeral and he hadn't said a word. My heart went out to him and i wish there was something I could do. I've watched him stare blankly and walk around with his shoulders slightly slumped. He didn't even speak to his mother who came in to check on him. He just walked into the bathroom and shut the door. All morning I've been waiting for something, a cry, a sigh, anything but as usual Nikko was trying to be strong. That's who i fell in love with, and i wouldn't knock him for it now.

   After the fifth time of him fumbling with his tie, I struggled to get up with this eight month pregnancy bump, and walked over to where he stood. He finally zoned back in and took a step back when i grabbed a hold of his tie, but i didn't let go. It brought him to stand still as i began doing what he had failed to do many times.

   "My dad used to have these fancy suits when i was a kid," I began. "But he never learned how to fix his ties, so my mom taught me just in case she wasn't around. It's something that really stuck with me," I finished tightening it up to his neck and straightening out the wrinkles.

   When Nikko's hands fell to my belly I finally glanced up at him and he placed his forehead against mine. "Thank you," he spoke softly.

   I smiled and placed my hands behind his neck, pulling his lips down to press against mine. His soft pink lips left me weak in the knees each time. For once i was really happy and had all i needed. It was I who should be thanking Nikko for coming into my life and making everything turn around for me. Just then the baby began moving around making Nikko chuckle. For the first time today a beautiful smile illuminated his face. "This kids more excited to see us than i thought."

    Nikko's comment left a brief smile on my face, before we were disrupted by a knock on the door. "You two ready," Nikko's mom asked as she peaked in. Her blonde short hair was curled and it made her look even more elegant.  I still couldn't get over how pretty she was.

    "Wow, Ebony you look gorgeous," she gawked at me. I blushed and thanked her.  I was wearing a white off the shoulder top, black bottom wrap dress. The dress fell to my knees which had a classy feel but it wasn't loose enough to where you couldn't see the pregnancy. I think that's the part i was most worried about. His whole family would be there, and though we weren't a secret anymore, we knew we wouldn't have such a great coming out party. Nikko's grandmother and his father still gave me the cold shoulder even though we were staying in the same house. Whereas everyone else i talked with just wanted to know the story behind us. Of course Nikko just said we met each other through Poochie, but Jovani and Michigan knew the truth.

        "We're ready, right," Nikko turned and asked me? I nodded as he looked me over for the first time today.

        "Are you going to be okay in those heels," Nikko asked?

      I giggled at how concerned he was when these were only a pair of four inch pumps, compared to the six and seven inch heels i had worn when working at the club. "I'm fine Nikko," I smiled.

         We followed his mom out the room and Nikko grasped my arm firmly as we went down the stairs. He really was very over-protective. "By the way, your Uncle Santos isn't in a great mood," Nikko's mother spoke softly. She was barely audible as she kept walking forward as if she hadn't said a word.

        "Why would he be? he's burying his only child," Nikko responded softly too. If i wasn't walking right next to them I wouldn't be able to tell they were even talking. Their lips were tight and their voices were soft, as if they wanted to keep something a secret.