1. A Nightmare

--Picture On The Side Of Ebony--  

     "Mommy, where are you taking us," I cried as my mother took my hand and led me into one of the bedrooms in the huge unfamiliar house. "Mommy, you said we were going to Chucke Cheese for my birthday," I whined and looked over at my brother. He was so quite, and withdrawn which wasn't like him. He usually always made fun of me when I begged my mother for something.

    My mother took my face in her hands and I admired the gleam in her chocolate brown eyes. "I know what I said, Ebony angel, just be quiet okay," she whispered to me. She let me go, and turned to my brother and hugged him tightly. I could hear her whispering but couldn't make out what it was she was saying. Whatever it was, it made my brother grip my mother as if he'd never see her again. When she pulled away I could see tears falling from my brothers eyes. "Kollins is a crybaby," I teased sticking my tongue out at him. I was mawking him the same way he'd mawked me so many times. It felt good to finally get him back.

         When my mother turned to me with tears on her face too, I became worried. Had I done something wrong? Kollins had teased me plenty of times without getting scolded. "Ebony, angel," my mother said using my first and middle name. She'd only do that when she had bad news, or when my Uncle Davey came to our apartment. "I want you to listen to your brother you understand. He's going to take you to Chuckee Cheese," my mother smiled at me weakly. I looked between the two of them, knowing she'd never just send us anywhere alone. "But mommy, whose home is this? Why are we here, and why can't we all go together," I cried wrapping my arms around her neck. I tangled my hands through her dreads and touched the soft and thick hair.

          Her hair fell in waves down her back and accentuated her beautiful mocha brown face. It was obvious why Uncle Davey would always be starring at my mother. She had been the most beautiful woman in Haiti, and stood out here in America with her exotic features, smooth brown complexion, and thick muscular body. She shushed me trying to soothe my anxiousness. My mother pulled me into her soft yet firm body. I inhaled her Cocoa Butter scented skin while she ran her hands through my shoulder length dreads. "Your family, is more important than anything. Never forget that, Ebony angel. Now go with your brother and I'll see you later okay. Mwen renmen ou b'el zanj," my mother said in our native tongue. She handed my brother a school bag and pushed us to a window in the big room. 

        Bang, bang, bang! "Coren, open this door bitch! Where is my fucking money!!" "Is that Uncle Davey," I cringed at the thought of him. My mother looked at the bedroom door before practically throwing us outside and closing the windows. My eyes looked up at the sky where a darkness was falling fast, and in a matter of seconds it was pitch black. All that was left from the darkness, was the window. My mother and brother were gone,and that left me cold and afraid.

     When i looked up, I jumped at the sight of Uncle Davey's menacing face as he grinned evilly at me. He opened the glass windows, and stepped out taking large steps to come closer to me. "You''re beautiful Ebony angel," he spoke licking his full pink lips. I shook in fear of those words, and what would happen after he said them. Without mommy here, who would come to my rescue this time? I screamed at the top of my lungs as he grabbed my arms and shook me with all his strength. "No, NO!!"

           "Ebony! Ebony, wake the fuck up!" My eyes fluttered open to the familiar voice and the shaking finally stopped. "Kollins," I said pushing him off of me. I looked around my bedroom, and wiped my eyes to make sure it had just been a dream. "How did you get in here," I asked, pushing the Victoria Secret Pink comforter off my sweaty body? "I picked your lock. You should have answered your fucking phone," he snapped getting up and going over to my closet. "What do you want Kollins," I asked rolling my eyes? My brother was obsessed with running my life. Ever since that day my mother had told him he was in charge, he'd been controlling everything I do. He was always screwing up my life. No matter how much I tried to uplift myself, he always brought me back down.