23 - Kill

When you watch all of those action movies, the main character always goes through something hard to survive, and you see them overcome it with no problem. Everyone loves the hero because they are always thinking of others. They do what they have to do to save the ones they care about and innocent lives. You never question what they are doing because you know it's for the best. 

        Being in the hero's shoes is a whole different thing. You feel how they felt through everything they went through. You constantly feel pain. You worry that you won't be able to save everyone. You anticipate the failure that may come your way if everything goes downhill. It's terrifying. The things you have to go through, things you have never wanted to do, but you had to because there was no other option.

        I'm terrified. 

        Deucalion has been saying that I'm the next big thing. I'm what he has actually been after this whole time, but he wouldn't mind having a true Alpha in his pack either. What I've done already makes me realize that I signed my life over to the devil. I'll never forget what I've done. What he made me do. What I did. 

        At the edge of the tree line, a small, yellow light flies in between the branches. Deucalion is standing on my left, the dark sunglasses tucked away in his jacket pockets. The walking stick, which I was very quick to learn was actually a weapon, is held beneath his hands, out in front of him. 

        "It's a firefly." I watch the little bug fly around, brightly. 

        "Unusual for this region." Deucalion stares off towards the direction the firefly is. 

        I glance up at the older man for a second. "It's because of Ms. Bl- Jennifer, isn't it? Just before all this started, a deer crashed into Lydia's car. Scott said that the cats went crazy at the animal clinic. Birds flew into the high school. That was all her."

        "They say animals can sense natural disasters when they're about to happen. Maybe they can sense supernatural ones as well." Deucalion's head shifts to the right. 

        "Does she scare you?" 

        Deucalion looks off in the opposite direction. "She concerns me if she's willing to kill that many innocent people for her cause, please like Scott's mother and Stiles' father." 

        I peer back at the firefly, disappearing in the woods. "But, you are willing to kill innocent people."  

        The next sentence to come out of his mouth does not suprise me at all. "I'll kill any living thing that gets in my way."

        His walking stick implants in the ground, as he spins around to follow where Kali and the Twins went. We're out in the woods for a reason. A reason I am not thrilled about at all. I trail behind Deucalion. The trees open up  to reveal a clearing. The clearing has the other three Alphas and Ms. Morrell standing in the middle of a dark circle. She's protecting herself with a powdered circle of mountain ash. 

        Deucalion waves his walking stick around the area ahead of his feet, as he walks forward. I stand back, noticing how Ms. Morrell's eyes widen and heart speeds up when she sees me standing behind him. Why is she reacting that way about me?

        "How did you know, Marin, that we'd come for you?" Deucalion steps closer to the circle of mountain ash surrounded by Kali and the twins. 

        "Because Jennifer and I are the same, and I know you've always been suspicious of us, of what we can do." Ms. Morrell says from the inside of her circle. 

        "With good reason. We know you sent that girl, the one who helped Isaac." Kali paces around the outer side of the circle. 

          "What was her name?" Deucalion taps his fingers on the top of his right hand.