14 - Thread The Needle

Stiles did get the bus to stop. Unfortunately, there was only one way to get it to happen and it was the worst idea ever. He had Jared vomit all over the bus. The smell was horrible. Even with the windows all down, heads hanging out of them, none of us could escape the stench. Jared felt horrible as it was. Now, everyone on the bus hated him. 

        Everyone rushes off of the bus as soon as we pull up to the rest stop. Stiles and I took either side of Scott and helped him off. Allison and Lydia ran over to us, immediately. I'm really not too pleased with Allison being here. We lead Scott to the bathrooms, making sure no one is already in here. Lowering him to the ground in between the two sinks, Allison lifts his shirt up to reveal his wound. It looks even worse than before.The blood is all black this time. I sit down on the floor on his right side. He squeezes his eyes shut while his hand roams the ground for one of mine. I lace my fingers through his and place our hands on my lap. 

        Allison's eyes widen. "Oh, my god. Why didn't you tell us?"

        Half awake, Scott mutters, "Sorry."

        "Okay. Just give us a second, okay?" Allison takes a second to peek at me before walking over to Stiles and Lydia. I eavesdrop on the three of them, knowing they wouldn't care anyways if I listened in. "This shouldn't be happening. I've seen him heal from worse than this." 

        "Okay, what do we do then? Do we just call an ambulance?" Stiles questions, growing even more concerned for his best friend.

        "What if it's too late? What if they can't help?"

        "We gotta do something."

        I bring our hands to my lips, pressing the back of his hand to them. It can't be too late. I can't lose Scott. I just can't. He means too much too me. Without knowing until it splatters on the floor, tears slide down my cheeks. I grip on to his hand. He doesn't squeeze back, though. His head slumps to the side, eyes shut. 

        "You know, it could be psychological."

        "What do you mean, like, psychosomatic?"

        "Somatoformic."

        "Som..."

        The words slip out of my mouth before I can even think of stopping them. "A physcial illness from a psychogenic cause." I feel Stiles' questioning gaze on me and I decide to simplify it. "It's all in his head."

        "All in his head?" Stiles says out loud, starting to put the pieces together. "He's not letting himself heal 'cause Derek died."

        "So, what do we do?"

        Lydia digs through her purse. She pulls out a small box with a needle and some thread in it. "Stitch him up. I'm serious. Maybe allhe needs to do is just believe it's healing."

        Allison gets straight to work. With a lighter, she heats up the end of the needle to sterilizes it. "He's gonna need another shirt. Where's his bag?"

        "Um, I'm gonna get it. I hate needles anyway, so..." Stiles starts for the exit. "Uh, do you know what you're doing?"

        Allison nods. "Yeah, my father taught me."

       "I mean, how fast are you gonna... I mean, the bus, like, the bus could leave."

        Allison glances at him. "Well, you just make sure it doesn't leave."