13 - Whistle

Screw you.

        Screw you.

        Screw you.

        Screw you.

        Those two words repeat over and over in my head. Those were the last two words I said to Derek. The last two words he heard come from my mouth before he died. I tuck my knees up to my chest as I stare out of the dirty bus window. Behind me, I can smell Scott's open wound on his chest. I should have been there. I could have saved Derek. 

        I can hear Isaac and Boyd's conversation from up front, both of them talking about how they need to stop thinking about it. On the other side of the school bus, Danny and Ethan are conversing. I am so aware of everything going on around me. I can hear everything, smell everything, yet my mind is else where. I'm worried about Scott the most. Derek's dead and there's not a thing I can do, but Scott isn't healing as fast as he should. He was injured by an Alpha, but it shouldn't be taking this long. 

        I could have been there last night. If only I hadn't agreed to stay back and watch a movie with Mrs. McCall.

        I step out of my new bedroom that Mrs. McCall had cleaned out for me that day. She was nice enough to clear two spare rooms out for Isaac and I. She said she couldn't turn us away when we had nowhere else to go. Mrs. McCall said we were to stay with them for as long as we needed. I think she's excited to have a girl in the house and won't have to deal with two teenage boys. 

        I only take a few steps down the hallway until I stand in the doorway of Scott's room. Our rooms are the closest together with Isaac's not too far from mine in the other direction. I lean up against the door frame, watching as Scott moves around his room with a jacket in hand. He's going somewhere? Scott must sense me in the room and he spins around. 

        "Chloe." His voice full of surprise.

        I eye the jacket in his hand. "Are you going somewhere?"

        Scott glances down at his jacket. "Uh...Kinda."

        "You're not going after him, are you?" I ask.

        Scott stares down. 

        "Scott, please don't. We don't know what Deucalion wants. Just let Derek handle it." I step in his room, arms crossed over my chest. 

        "I'm tired of the people I love constantly being threatened." Scott raises his voice a little. 

        I step even closer to him until they is a small distance between us. "You can't save everyone."

        He hangs his head. "I have to." He pulls his jacket on and I take a few steps back. Scott turns his back to me to grab his motorcycle helmet. 

        I shake my head, sadly. Isaac appears next to me in the doorway. Scott turns around with his helmet in hand, gasping when he sees Isaac in his room, too.

        Isaac nods to the helmet. "Where ya going?"

        Scott's face blanks and I can see him working up a lie in his head. "Uh, I was gonna go get some food to eat."

        "Oh, cool." Isaac says. "I'll come with you."

        A worried smile makes its way on Scott's face. "Nah, dude. It's okay. I can eat alone."