18 - Gold to Red

Do not freak out, Chloe. Now is not the time for the butterflies in your stomach to go crazy. You should be paying attention to the very serious situation at hand. I need to be paying attention. Stop over thinking everything and completely blocking out what everyone is saying. 

        My eyes flick back to my hand on the examination table in the animal clinic. My eyes slowly slide over just an inch to see Scott's hand. They are so close. His shoulder brushed across mine twice around. It was probably an accident. I mean, why would he purposely brush his shoulder against mine? His hand hasn't moved away from mine. We've held hands before, like it was no big deal. Now, it seems harder to do. Before, I could grab his hand when I needed comfort. Now, I just want to hold his hand just because I want to. How did that one night change everything in me?

        "Okay, so, what does this kid's homework have to do with finding Deaton?" Cora's voice break through my thoughts. 

        I look back up to see all of them in full conversation. I need to stop getting so distracted. 

        "Because it's not just homework, okay? It's a project on geomagnetic fields." Stiles hands over Danny's work. 

        I decided to join in the conversation, like I had been paying attention this entire time. "They flow through the earth. They can even be affected by lunar phases."

        Scott nods his head. I smile and focus back on the papers. 

        Stiles spreads them all out. "Now, look at this. This is a note from Harris on Danny's proposal." Stiles points to the note from Harris written in red ink.

        "'I strongly advise you to choose another subject," Lydia reads, her finger following the words. "The ideas here, while innovative and thoughtful, border on pseudo science. Not suitable for class.'"

        "Harris wasn't just a sacrifice. He knew something." Scott states.

        "Now, check this out. Allison's dad wasn't the only one with a map, all right?" Stiles grabs the map and unfolds it. "Danny had one too. Danny marked all the telluric currents, okay? Now, the weird thing about Beacon Hills is that it actually is a beacon."

        "You wouldn't believe how much energy flowing through the earth is around this town." I add, moving my hands to lean on the table more. Unfortunately, I moved them away from Scott's.

        Scott grabs the papers he brought from Allison's. "Stiles, look, they match." He circles place on Danny's map. "Alright, there's three places, right? Where they're kidnapped and then the place where their body was found." His left hand is set down right by mine. Did he do that on purpose?

        Lydia points to one of the circles. "Look, that's right on the telluric current."

        "So, maybe where he was sacrificed is somewhere in between." I suggest.

        "Let me see that." Stiles holds his hand out for the pen. Once it's in his hand, he crosses out the circle around the animal clinic. "You said there's six more bodies to be found. Deaton's one of them. Got to be somewhere in between, right?"

        Cora's hand darts out and grabs Stiles'. She drags his hand over to the Beacon Hills First National bank "Stop. He's in the vault. He's in the same vault." 

        Everyone gathers the papers back up and hands them over to Lydia. We need to get to the bank. Scott's hand touches the small of my back as he urges me out of the room. 

        "Guys, hold on." Lydia calls out.

        Scott stops pushing me and we both turn around. "Lydia, we don't have time."