20 - Wrong Place, Wrong Time

"Sorry, but I don't remember having anymore appointments." 

        I cross my arms over my chest, glaring at Ms. Morrell as she tidies up her office. Scott walks up behind me, his familiar musky scent floating to my nose. Unknowingly, I breathe in deeply before speaking up, "You sure? 'Cause we could use a little guidance right now."

        Ms. Morrell straightens and spins around at my voice. Her face falls when she sees Scott right behind me. The look on her face is pure annoyance. Scott gently pushes me forward towards the two chairs in front of her desk. Ms. Morrell glances at the seats before settling down in her desk chair. 

        She leans back in her chair, eye on Scott. "Why are you bothering with me, Scott, when you know the clock is ticking?" Her eyes dart to me for a split second. "When you know someone else is about to be taken?"

        There is no way I am going to be taken.

        "By you?" Scott asks, glaring right back at her.

        Ms. Morrell smirks. "Come on, Scott. Shouldn't you leave the interrogations to someone like Stilinski?"

        Scott leans forward in his seat. "Are you the one killing people?"

        "Are you listening to my heartbeat?" Ms. Morrell speaks slowly. Her voice drops to a whisper as she says the next sentence. "No. I'm not the one killing people. Truth is, I'm all that stands between Deucalion and the lives of your friends. I've been the one pulling the leash taut when they're salivating for a bite."

        I scrunch my brows together. "What do you mean?"

        Ms. Morrell slightly tilts her head towards me. "He wants a true Alpha in his pack." She looks back to Scott. "He thinks it's you, and a little distraction like a few human sacrifices isn't gonna dissuade him from the prize."

        "But, Scott's not an Alpha." I straighten up in the chair and glance towards Scott. 

        "But, he's well on his way, aren't you?"

        Scott slams his hands on the desk and stands up. I jump a little from his sudden action. "Then what is he waiting for? What does he want me to do?"                

        Ms. Morrell stands up, slamming her own hands on the desk. "He wants to make a killer out of you. That's what he does."

        "But, if I kill someone, I can't be a true Alpha, right?"

        My head snaps from the two of them, confused. What the hell is a true Alpha?

        "Exactly. You want the psychologist's perspective? He's an obsessive, who both desires you and is threatened by you. If the obsessive can't have the object of his desire he'll choose to destroy it instead. You'll either willingly become part of his pack or he'll make a killer out of you, destroying your potential to be a true Alpha."

        "Neither of those is ever going to happen." Scott disagrees.         

        "Don't be so sure." Ms. Morrell sits back down in her chair. "You're playing his game. And while you're trying to figure out what to do next, he's thinking ten moves ahead, with checkmate already in sight. "

        I stand up, realizing that she isn't really going to tell us anything. I wrap my fingers around Scott's bicep and tug on his arm. "C'mon. This is useless."

        Ms. Morrell smirks. "You can't save everyone, Scott, not even yourself." 

        I tug harder on his arm, sending a harsh glare towards her as I drag him out of the room. He follows me out into the hallway and stands still once the door shuts. "Scott, what's a true Alpha?"