17 - Avoiding Scott

My hand presses against my bedroom window. Coldness touches the palm of my hand, giving me my answer. It's cold enough out to wear long sleeves. I wander back to my closet, frowning when I see how many clothes I actually have. I really need to get some money and go shopping. I need a job. I would get one, but juggling the supernatural, school, and a job would be impossible. Looks like I won't be getting any new clothes. 

        Deciding that none of my sweaters would be thick enough, I head to my brother's room. Maybe he has something I can borrow. The sound of my black, ankle boots are the only noise in the hallway as I walk to his room. It's way too quiet. Normally, Isaac is playing some kind of music. 

        "Hey, Isaac-" I stop when I see his room is empty. I open my mouth then shut it. He must be in the bathroom. I stroll over to his closet, flicking through his clothes. Nothing. I purse my lips. I could always go ask Scott. He wouldn't mind, right? I walk back towards Scott's room, peeking my head in first. Where is everyone?

        I fully step in his room. Maybe they both went downstairs already. That could be true, except Scott's backpack is on the ground by his desk. Glancing over my shoulder, I rush to his closet. A red and black flannel catches my attention. I yank it off of the hanger and make a quick dash back to my room. I slip his flannel on with a small smile on my face. The red adds just enough color to my all black outfit. 

        I peek my head back out in the hallway. I don't even hear them downstairs. Did something happen last night and they left without me? I push myself back out in the hallway, deciding I'll ask Mrs. McCall. I stand in the doorway of her room and cover my mouth with my hand, giggling into it. I found the boys. Mrs. McCall is fast asleep in her bed, but the sight at the end of her bed is what is causing the giggles.

        Both of them are on sprawled out at the foot of her bed; Scott in a chair, and Isaac on the floor, cuddling with a fluffy pillow. My giggles must have woken up Mrs. McCall because she sits up in bed. Her sleepy gaze lands on the boys, who are snoring. I shrug my shoulders when she looks my way. 

        "Really, boys?" Mrs. McCall sighs. "Boys!" She yells this time.

        They spaz out. Scott jumps to his feet and Isaac jumps away from the pillow. I laugh even harder. Isaac climbs to his feet, looking beyond confused. 

        "What do you think you're doing?" Mrs. McCall asks the two of them. 

        Isaac glances at Scott for help in this situation. "Uh, we were watching over you."

        "We wanted to make sure you weren't the third sacrifice." Scott explains. 

        I hold my hand out, quietly giggling. "But, both of you were asleep."

        Scott whips his head around to see me leaning against the doorway. A hint of a smile on his lips until he turn back to Isaac, pointing at him. "You were on watch last."

        Isaac, with his hand on the back of his head, whispers back. "What are you talking about? You were on watch last."

        "No, you were on watch last." Scott repeats, like he knows for sure. 

        Isaac thinks about it and starts nodding. "I might've been on watch last."

        "My heroes." Mrs. McCall responds rather sarcastically. "Wait, didn't you say that they were all doctors? I mean, I haven't had an M.D recently attached to the end of my name, so I think I'm in the clear." 

        Oh, right. Two doctors from Beacon Hills Hospital was taken last night as sacrifices. I had overheard Scott tell Isaac when he got home last night. I'm still not used to the whole 'this is my home now'.