22 - Hero

I shake from the rain that just went through my clothes the second time when Stiles and I pushed Cora to the ambulance outside.  For some stupid reason, all of us split up; Derek has Ms. Blake, Scott and Peter are fighting the twins, and that leaves me with Stiles and Cora. Thankfully, no one followed us and we got to the ambulance with no problem. 

        Stiles checks to make sure the back doors of the ambulance are locked with no one else allowed to get in. I sit down on the grey, padded seat on the side. I don't like the fact that Scott is out there. Yeah, he has Peter, but this is Peter we are talking about.

        "Okay, okay, okay." Stiles sits down beside me, his attention on the pouring rain outside. "We're okay."

        I rest my forearms on the gurney. Cora is going to be okay. We can save her. I tilt my head to the side when I see her chest isn't moving up and down. "Stiles!" I grab his arm. 

         "What?" 

        "I don't think she's breathing."

        "Wh- Why does she look like she's not breathing?" His brown eyes go wide. He lean forward to try to hear her breathe, but he leans back. "Because you aren't breathing, are you? Oh, no. Oh, God. Oh, no, no, no. Why are you not breathing? Come on."

        "Stiles, do something!" I yell. 

        His head whips around. "Me do something?"

        "Yes!" 

        Stiles turns back to Cora. "Okay, okay, okay." The sleeves of his plaid shirt are pushed back to his elbows. "You can do this. Here we go. Tilt the head. Fingers on the chin. Clear the throat. Great, nothing. I see nothing. Okay, all right, so, uh... just pinch the nose and blow."

        I fearfully watch Stiles perform all of this steps. Taking Cora's hand in mine, I pray for a miracle that Stiles performing CPR on her will work. "Come on, Cora."

        "Come on. Oh, come on, Cora. Come on, breathe. Come on, Cora, breathe." Stiles repeats the two steps of blowing air into Cora's mouth and then listening to her chest.

        Finally, Cora gasps for air, her eyes still shut. A few coughs come out of her, but she's still breathing.

        I jump from the sudden noise, but smile in relief. "Oh, thank God."

        "Oh! You know, next time I put my lips to your mouth, you better be awake." Stiles leans back against the wall, scratching the side of his head.

        I pat his arm. "You did it."

        Stiles turns his head my way, taking in the way I'm biting my bottom lip from nerves. I ignore his stare. From my peripheral vision, Stiles forward again to look at Cora. "You just hold on a little longer, okay?" Stiles reaches to grab my hand in a comfortingly way. "Both of you." He gazes back down at the girl on the gurney. "Trust me, if anyone's gonna get us out of this, it's Scott. Can't believe I just said that. You know, I actually used to be the one with the plan. Well, or at least a plan B. Now I don't know. Now I'm thinking maybe you were right. You know, maybe... maybe we are pretty much useless. Maybe all we really do is show up and find the bodies. I don't want to find my father's body. You know, you're a lot easier to talk to when you're completely unconscious."

        My heart breaks. How can Stiles think like that? I pull my hand out of his and wrap my arms around my best friend. "We're gonna find your dad. I promise."

        A noise outside breaks us apart. I move to the other side of the door to see outside. The rain has stopped, thankfully. A quiet growl has the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. A shadow of one of the Alpas hits the wall of dumpsters. Stiles and I lean back at the same time to avoid being seen. I angle my head enough to see the twins outside in their Alpha form.