Chapter Seven : Potions and Fevers

Draco made sure Harry was out of sight before he turned back to Severus, eyebrows raised. Severus' face was grim and a hand rubbed his chin in thought. "It's worse than I expected," was all he said. Draco needed more than that.

"How long until his memory is gone, do you think?" Draco wrung his hands in his lap until Severus shot a pointed look at his hands. His white-knuckle grip loosened. Severus was right, there was no need for that right now, it wouldn't help.

"A week, maybe," Draco stood from his seat quickly.

"A week? That's it? And his memory is just-gone? Like that?"

"Draco, sit down and calm yourself," Severus watched him until he did so, shame coloring his face red. "I think he'll remember everything up until the age he is now. Some extremely prominent memories will likely leave an impression for longer. There's no telling if they'll come back when the potion gets out of his system..." Severus trailed off, looking in the direction Harry had gone. "If it changes him back at all," he murmured.

Draco didn't know what to say to that. It was too many questions, too many variables, too many unknowns.

"How did he get the bruise?"

"It was just... on his face this morning. I couldn't think of anything that could have caused it, I was with him the whole night, but Professor Slughorn mention that -"

"The potion changes the takers body chemistry to the time off... so whatever injuries he's sustained will continue to appear as his body changes as the potion says." Severus cut him off. Draco felt a little slighted, but that was likely do to his anxiety.

"What if he gets his memory back but not his body? Or his body but not his memory? Or if-"

"Any outcome other than returning to normal is bad in this case, yes." Severus stopped him again. Draco shut his mouth with a snap.

"I am hoping that an antidote to the regular Festina Tempus will suffice, but it is hard to say."

"You don't keep it on hand, do you?"

"No, and I doubt Professor Slughorn does either. Even making it a priority, it will take over a week to produce, likely closer to two. Maybe discussing things related to his life will keep his memory longer." Severus said quietly. His eyes moved to the bruise balm.

"Did you have this on hand?"

"No, Madam Pomfrey sent it with a note and a few other potions," Severus looked at him with raised eyebrows, "a few for pain and injuries, and nourishment potions he needs to take before breakfast every day." Severus nodded.

"She knows something about the injuries, doesn't she?" Draco asked after a moment of silence. Severus looked at him carefully.

"I haven't been told anything, but it seems she does. If I had to guess, based on the facts and what I have witnessed in my own experience," he started, Draco thought Severus looked ashamed, "it would not be surprising if he was abused at home."

Draco nodded, eyes downcast. It confirmed his own suspicions, but it was still uncomfortable to know. Draco certainly hadn't made Harry's life better. And neither had Severus, come to think of it. His godfather had always been nasty to Potter in potions.

Severus stood after a few moments of silence, approaching the floor. "I will start the antidote today, but there is no guarantee it will work, Draco."

Draco nodded, frowning. "Take care."

Severus disappeared. Draco sat for a few more minutes thinking their conversation. It hadn't been as promising as he'd hoped it would be. Realizing he hadn't heard anything from Harry since he'd walked out of the room, Draco went into Harry's room. He found him sleeping, cuddling the large black dog stuffed animal.

Draco smiled at the sight. Harry sneezed, startling him. He sniffed into the pillow and curled up tighter in the blanket. Frowning, Draco put a hand on Harry's forehead. No fever, but Draco worried he would have one soon. He knew Potter's luck.

Draco wrapped him tighter in the blankets and went into his own room. "Dinky!"

The little elf popped up merrily. "What can I be doing for Master Malfoy sirs!"

"Ask Madam Pomfrey for some sickness potions. Ones for fevers and the like."

"Yes Sirs!"

Dinky was back within minutes. Draco took the small parcel from her and set it on his desk. She popped away, and Draco sat on his own bed. The green sheets and oak wood made him smile, feeling a little bit more at home in the small space.

Draco pulled out his schoolwork to hopefully make some progress while Harry slept.

Some hours had passed and Draco's hand was cramping from holding his quill for so long -McGonagall wouldn't take the situation as an excuse to slack on his essays- when he heard a clang from downstairs.

Draco rushed out of his room, grabbing the package hastily on his way out. Harry was in the kitchen, holding a bowl so tightly his knuckles were white and looking fearfully at Draco.

"Harry, what're you doing?" Draco asked, walking over and taking the bowl from him. Putting a hand to Harry's head confirmed his guess, and he unwrapped the package Dinky had brought to him.

Harry hadn't moved or spoken. Draco frowned at him. "Why don't you sit down? I'm going to need you to take a potion for me."

Harry didn't sit, he backed up until he hit the counter. "I'm sorry," he whispered.

Draco frowned again, now holding a child's pepper-up potion. "What happened? Did you do something?"

"I thought-I was-" he stopped himself. Draco nodded at him to continue. "You weren't... you were gone. And I was-I was hungry, I'm sorry, I won't do it again," he mumbled, almost to the point where Draco couldn't understand him.

"Harry, you didn't do anything wrong. I just need you to take this potion, and then you can eat whatever you want. Will you sit down?"

Harry sniffed, wiping his nose on his sleeve. Draco almost wrinkled his nose in disgust, but controlled it so Harry wouldn't see. Finally Harry was sitting, and took the potion Draco offered him. His worry lessened, Draco picked up the bowl Harry had been holding.

"What are you hungry for?"

~~~

Professor Snape paced in his quarters. Moonlight shone through the enchanted window -he didn't get any real light in the dungeon- casting a glow on the bubbling potion that he still had on a stasis charm.

He had been summoned only an hour ago. The Dark Lord knew something had happened to Potter, though he didn't know what. Severus had been punished harshly for his inability to give information on what had happened. His body was still trembling from the Cruciatus curse.

It was only a matter of time before he was forced to tell the Dark Lord what had happened, or he would find out the same way he had been told that Potter was vulnerable in the first place.

Professor Snape sighed, taking floo powder into his hand. "Headmaster's Office."