Chapter 29

Cassidy's P.O.V.

By the time we got home from the mall it was around 3:00. Jack was coming at 6:30 for dinner at 7:00. This dinner is giving me way to much anxiety. At this point I only care what Hunter thinks of me at this point. If my parents, and Jack's, don't realize were happy then thats their fault.

I was putting the finishing touches on the waves in my hair when Mikaela walked in.

"Do you need some help with the flowers?" she offers.

"Um yea, actually"

She helps me put the flower crown on and helps start my makeup.

"Are you okay? You are shaking like crazy"

I look down at my feet, to nervous to talk.

"You can trust me Cass. I'm not here to steal Hunter away from you, or to tattle tail on you. We are all older then that now" she says and I smile.

"Um yea, I could use your help" I say and she smiles.

"Whenever you ready, I've had my fair share of experience with guys, so I will try my best to help"

I clear my throat, "I am dating a guy that will be a Sophomore in college and Hunter and him used to be close when they played lacrosse together in High School. And that kid Cameron, me and him had a really bad relationship and no one knows what really happened.." I blurt out really fast.

"Wow that was a lot"

"Yep, and my parents don't like Jack and Jack's parents don't like me"

"Oh god, that's horrible"

"Oh one more thing, Jack is my best friends brother"

"hmm, that is a tough one"

"First, I think after the shock of seeing who you are dating Hunter will get over it"

"I think so too, but Hunter has been my best friend for so long"

"I can be there for you, till he is. That isn't your biggest worry. Second I don't know who this Cameron kid is, but if he hurt you then he is no man. A true man would never lay his hands on a women out of anger."

I take what she says into consideration and I know she is right. I need to tell Jack about what happened with Cameron but that can wait until after dinner since I have a few other things going on at the moment.

At 6:30 the front door bell rings and I run down the stairs before anyone else can answer it. Jack pulls me outside and I wrap my arms around his neck.

"You look so beautiful Princess" he murmurs into my hair.

"You don't look so bad yourself" I say and stand up on my tippy toes to kiss him.

"Ready?" I ask

"As long as your by my side" he says and gives my hand a squeeze.

We walk back through the front door and into the kitchen. My mom and dad were working on dinner by the stove and Mikaela was setting the dining room table.

"Mom, Dad you know Jack"

"Mr. Brook" Jack says and shakes his hand.

"Mrs. Brook" Jack says and squeezes her hand gently.

"Good to see you Jack, how have you been?" My dad asks him.

"I'm great, been helping my dad work this summer. How are you? How's the company doing?"

"Same shit, different day" He says with a slight smile and Jack returns one.

I silently thank god for that not being horribly awkward, but still up there.

We walk into the dining room and take our seats. My dad at the head of the table me to his right and Jack to his left. Mikaela next to me and Hunter next to Jack and my mother at the other head.

Hunter comes in and sits next to Jack and they don't recognize each other at first. My heart is in my throat and Mikaela offers me a helpful smile.

"Hi I'm Hunter, Cassidy's brother" he says and turns to Jack.

Jack turns to Hunter and his eyes go wide and Hunter's expression matches his.

"Holy shit" Hunter says loud enough for us to hear.

"Hunter watch your language" my mom says from the end of the table and it just makes matters worse.

Hunter looks over at me and his eyes are filled with hurt and it breaks my heart in two. I look over at Jack and he won't meet my eyes. This right now is probably the worst moment of my life.

"Can I please be excused with Cassidy for a second" Hunter says breaking the silence.

"Make it quick, we have company" my mom says with her attitude and fake smile.

Hunter walks out the patio doors and I follow. The temperature seems to have dropped in the last 20 minutes and there is a breeze. I wrap my arms around myself and wait for what is to come.

"Why him Cassidy? Why" he says with his voice pained.

"You could have had anyone but him and I would have been ok with it" he says and rubs his hands over his face and through his hair making it stand on its ends.

"I'm sorry Hunt" I didn't know what else to say.

"Just forget it Cassidy, you aren't my problem" his voice dripped with disappointment.

I wipe away the tear that slide down my cheek and follow him back to the table. I sit back down and catch Jack's eye and he looks away quickly. Wow this has just been the worst dinner ever, and it just started. I put on a fake smile and push the uneaten food around on my plate.

-

-

{unedited}