Strictly Business~ Second Dates and Propositions

Reputation

     E

     V

     E

     N

     G

     E

     FINAL PHASE

     I’m going to make you fall in love with me.

     The sentence catches me totally off-guard.  I stand there, shocked out of my mind as the words leave his mouth.  I don’t even know how I’m supposed to react to this.  Should I smile?  Or kiss him?  Or run in a panicky fashion?  No, I know exactly what I should do.

     Laugh.

     And so that’s what happens.  I laugh hard, bending over a little.  He can’t be serious.  This has to be fake.  Like who says that?  And what makes him so confident that he’s going to be able to do this?  He says he’ll make me fall in love.  How can you make someone fall in love?  Seriously?

     But as I wipe the tears from my eyes, I see he’s completely serious.  The laughter leaves my mouth and I frown.  “Weston, what in the world makes you think you’re so suave that I’ll just fall into your arms like that?  You act like you know you’re going to get me.”

      “That’s because I am.”  He says, radiating such confidence that I can’t help but roll my eyes.

     “I think you might need to know something.”  I stare him straight in the eyes.  “If you really want to make me fall in love, it’ll take more than just kisses or batting those pretty little eyes of yours.  Love comes from the inside person.  By being kind or sweet, and sometimes getting little gifts for the one you care about like flowers, perfume, or cooking dinner.  Not staring at them and acting like ‘I’m sexy and I know it’ and expecting that to make me fall in love with you.”

     He shrugs like it’s nothing.  “I can handle that.” 

     I squeeze out from under him and pat his shoulder.  “Yeah, sure.  I’ll get you some more morphine.”

     “Give me two hours and I’ll prove it to you.”  He states, completely serious.

     “What, now?  You want to do this now?”  I look down at my watch.  “At 8:30?”

     “Why not?  No time better than the present.”  He states.  “You go home and make yourself look beautiful, and I’ll prove you wrong.  Simple as that.” 

     I stare at him, astounded.  He’s really determined to prove this, isn’t he?  So, I’m willing to give him the opportunity.  “Fine, prove it.  But when it doesn’t work, I totally get to say I told you so.”

     Weston grins.  “Addelyn, it’s seems you’ve forgotten my motto yet again.  I always win.”

     And with that, he’s pushing me out the front door, sending me home to make my attire more appropriate for the evening.  I believe the last few weeks has given him such confidence, that he believes he can do anything.  But forcing someone to fall in love?  Now, that’s something I know can’t happen.

     But it doesn’t help the slight excitement in my stomach as I go home, changing into date attire.  I search in my closet for something attractive.  The last time Weston eyed my clothing, he accused me of owning a lot of ugly things.  But after the latest shopping spree, due to my sister ruining my dresses, I had quite the shopping spree.  So I pull out my little black dress, one of the more flattering in my closet.  I pair it with a pair of black heels, so that I can stand tall next to Weston.  It’s good for intimidation.  I walk into the bathroom, running my hand through my hair to make it just a tad be messy.  I lather some make-up on my face to hide all the stress lines.  And finally, I make sure my glasses are perched perfectly on my nose.