Strictly Business~ Cheerleading and Shirtless Jackson

A/N:  CHECK OUT THE SONG I POSTED!  I BELIEVE THE TITLE GIVES A LITTLE INSIGHT INTO THE CHAPTER!

     I’m not too eager to get to lunch the next morning.  I wasn’t ready or willing to face Jocelyn’s accusatory face, nor did I want to see Weston either.  As I walk down the hallway, I’m silently praying that I don’t have to go.  That I don’t have to face Jocelyn.  And that I don’t have to pretend like nothing happened yesterday with Weston.  I just wish that I can disappear, or maybe be taken away from the whole situation entirely.  But as the cafeteria comes into sight, I realize that my pray isn’t going to be answered.

     And then, I’m saved by the bell.  Or maybe, more appropriately put, saved by the pom-poms, as two girls, decked out head to toe in their cheerleading uniforms, grab my by the arms and tug me in the opposite direction. 

     “What’s going—” I start to say, but one girl shushes me.

     “You’ll see,” She says, before leading me to the gymnasium.  A deep frown sets on my face as Kristina’s fear-filled expression comes into view.  She pacing around the gym, mumbling to herself like some maniac, before she sees me, and then she grins. 

     “Addelyn!”

     This is a heck of a way for a prayer to be answered.

     “Kristina!”  I say less enthusiastically.  I look around at the room of over-zealous dancers.  “What’s going on?”

     “We have an absolute, utter, total disaster.”  I try not to focus on how grammatically incorrect that sentence is, and await to hear what is just so ‘disastrous’.  “So you remember that party last night?”

     How can I forget?

     “Well, you left early, so I you didn’t see the tragedy that happened.  Jasmine Martin, one of our best cheerleaders, was dared by Michael to jump of the catwalk of Cole’s house, and onto the couch below.  Well, Jasmine must’ve had too much to drink or something, because she did it, and next thing you know, she broke her arm and leg, and almost broke her neck.  Anyways, now we’re missing a cheerleader to play at the homecoming game, and we desperately need someone to fill in, so I was hoping you’d do it.”

     Me?  Cheerlead?  Has she lost her mind?  I don’t cheerlead.  I’m not gymnastically inclined.  I can’t even do a handstand, much less a double-whammy-back-flip-kick-switch or whatever moves they do in this sport.  She seriously can’t think I’m a good replacement. 

     “Look Kristina, I really don’t think I’m right for this.  I can’t do half the moves you all do in your routines.  I’m sure there has to be someone more fit for the job.” 

     She shakes her head.  “No, there just aren’t any other girls that can live up to my expectations.  I know you’ve never really been a cheerleader, but it doesn’t mean you can’t be one.  There’s two weeks before the homecoming game, and I think that’ll give me just enough time to train you.”

     “Train me?  In two weeks?  Are you kidding?”

     “I’m not going to turn you into anything spectacular.  I’m just going to train you enough to the point that you won’t stick out like a sore thumb in the group.  The routine calls for exactly sixteen girls, and that’s what we must have.”  She must see me about to reject again, because she grabs my shoulder, trying to shake me into saying yes.  “Just give me a chance.  We really need you on this one.”

     Every part of me wants to say no at this point.  I know for a fact that there are about ten other girls at this school who take gymnastics but have never had the courage to join the cheerleading team.  I know that Kristina has other friends that are quite acrobatic, and yet she asks me.  Something just doesn’t seem right about this.