Strictly Business~ New Managment and Fake Kisses

He was silent.  For the entire ride back to my house, Weston Brooks was totally, completely, and utterly silent.  It’s frightening, really, because if there’s one thing Weston can’t do, it’s shut his mouth. Even during school, the next morning, Weston doesn’t say a word.  He doesn’t look at me in the hallways, he doesn’t address me with one of his usual insults, in fact, we didn’t even look like a couple, because he refused to be seen with me.  Maybe I should be relishing in this moment, but I can’t.  I’m puzzled.  No, scratch that.  I’m downright scared.

     It’s not until lunch that Weston decides to finally look in my direction.  But to my utter dismay, he’s not alone.

      “No.”  Jocelyn whispers once she sees the guy that laughs with Weston, as they head towards our table.  “Oh god, please tell me this isn’t happening.”

     “Joce, it’s happening.”  I reply, eyes wide.

     “Okay, okay, let’s think this through.”  She says, quickly, as the boys near.  “We can run.  I mean, I can say I have to use the bathroom, and you know how girls always travel in packs to the bathroom.  It could work.”

     “And leave Weston alone with him?  Are you kidding?  That’d be an idiot move.”  I reply.

     “Who knows how long they’ve already been alone?  Fleeing the scene wouldn’t be that bad.  Come on, let’s go while we still have time.”

     “We’re still going to have to come back.  We can’t hide in the bathroom stalls all day.  Who knows what type of disease we’ll come out with?”

     “It’s worth it.  Let’s scat.”

     “No.”

     “Yes.”

     “No.”

     “YES!”

     “Ladies!”  Weston sits down at the table, his male friend next to him.  “I think you’ve met my friend, Chris.  His dad owns the sister law firm that we were at yesterday.  We’ve been friends for a good while.”

      We both fidget, sending each other sideways looks.  Weston is doing this on purpose.  I can tell.  “Yeah, I…we remember him.”  I say.

      “Okay.”  Weston nods.  “He was actually telling me this horrible thing that happened to him while he was picking up his transfer papers the other day.  Some dumb students trashed his car or something like that.   He had to ride all the way home with lipstick covering his windshield.  Poor guy.  You wouldn’t happen to know anything about that would you, Addelyn?”

     “N-no… n-not at all.”  Curse my darn stuttering.

     “Jocelyn, have you heard anything?”

     Jocelyn looks up, face flushed.  She looks guilty.  “Uh… no habla ingles.”

     Great.  We’re screwed.

     “Well, that’s too bad.”  Chris says, flickering his eyes over to Weston.  “Because when I find out the imbeciles that thought it was cute, their butts will be in court faster than the police can read them their rights.”

     “Well, do you really think that’s all necessary?  It might just be a big misunderstanding.”  I say.

     “What’s to misunderstand?  They trash my car.  I trash them.”  He says.

     Oh goodness.  We’re in deep.

     “Well, it’s just that—”

     “It’s not fair.”  Jocelyn speaks up, clamping her hand over her mouth as soon as she says it.