Strictly Business~ Slavery and Spit

Reputation

     E

     V

     E

     N

     G

     E

     Interlude, Part 3

     “Room 244,” the lady behind the desk points to the hallway on the left side, popping her gum.  I briefly thank her, before hastening down said hallway, urgently.  I lift my wrist to look at my watch: 5:20.  Darn traffic.  Who knows what could’ve transpired within the three hours I was at a dead standstill on Main Rd.

     Part of me is a bit worried.  Will he be mad at me?  Will he yell?  Throw things? Will he even be conscious enough to state his hatred?  Maybe I shouldn’t have taken things as far as I did, even though he did deserve it.  Maybe I should’ve just let it go.  Things would’ve been much different.

     I reach the door, and open it, stepping inside.  In front of me is a guy in a full-body cast, his heart beat moving slowly on the monitor.  I immediately cover my mouth to stifle a gasp.  He looks so still—almost gone. 

     “Oh my god.”  I run over to him.  “Weston, I am so sorry.  I-I didn’t mean for all this to happen.  It was just a joke.  I’m sure you probably hate me right now, and I don’t blame you.  But even though you get on my nerves, and every day I desire to inflict physical pain on you, I would’ve never wished this on you.”

     I go silent, wondering if he’ll respond, but he doesn’t.  I realize that he’s still unconscious.

     “Weston, I know I’ve been really tough on you lately, and I don’t know if you can hear me, but I’m so sorry.  I guess, you just bring out the worst in me sometimes.  And I really do care about you, even though you’re a sickening, no-good, manipulative, lying, arrogant—”

     “Don’t forget narcissistic.  That’s a big one.”  I hear Weston speak, but his lips don’t move.  It’s not until I turn to the side and see the curtain pulled back, and Weston standing in normal clothes, that I realize I’ve been talking to the wrong guy.  I jump back, eying to see damages.  He has a cast holding up his right arm, and a giant purple bruise on his forehead.

     “You heard what I said?”  I ask, and he nods.  “Good.  Are you feeling okay?”

     “Well, I’m a bit high on pain medication right now, so I’d say I’m doing pretty good.”  He says.  “Just a bruise, and a broken arm.  But they patched me up real quick.”

     I find the ability to smile.  “Wonderful.  I’m glad you’re okay.”

     “Good to know someone cares.”  His look changes and  I realize that I’m his only guest.  His father isn’t around.  Chris isn’t around.  No one.  Mentally, I give them the benefit of the doubt.  Maybe they don’t know yet.  Maybe.  “The Doc already let me out, by the way.  I just came back to get my stuff.”  Weston picks up his bag.  “Apparently, I’ll have to become left-handed.”

     I pause.  “Weston, if there’s anything I can do—”

     “You want to help me?”  He raises his eyebrows, looking genuinely shocked.

     “Yeah, I kind of got you into this mess.  It’s only fair that I offer to help.”  I say.  And for the fact his dad couldn’t even show up at the hospital, I figure no one else is going to be helping him at home.