Strictly Business

A/N:  Thanks to Stawberry Designs for making this awesome book cover!!!         

          I was beginning to find myself in the middle of a Taylor Swift song.  Especially now, as my best friend and greatest crush, Jackson Miller, sits on the outside bleachers with his arm slung across head cheerleader , Kristina Walker.  She was perfect for him, Jackson had said when he came over to my house, completely whipped over her.  His grin was a little bit bigger, and his eyes sparkled with an intensity I had never seen before.  I guess I didn’t know how exhilarating dating a cheerleader was.  Jackson made it seem like it was the best thing on earth, that’s for sure.

          But despite his lovesick attitude, I figured she was another one of those short-term girlfriends he got that lasted for about a week.  But after three months of going strong, I knew I had a problem on my hands.  Kristina was ruining the plan.

          The plan was to admit my undying love for Jackson on prom night.  Then after he admits he’s been in love with me too, and we kiss under the moonlight, we’ll graduate as a couple, get engaged during college, and have three kids by 2021.  Simple as that.

          Kristina, though, was not part of the plan.  In fact, with prom coming up in a few months, I might not get the opportunity to tell him.  So the only way things could stay according to plan is if the so-called ‘happy couple’ break up.  And since it’s not looking like they’ll be breaking up anytime soon, I figure the best option is if I step in for them.  If only I could figure out how to do so.

          “Addelyn!”

          Suddenly, I’m jolted out of my thoughts and back into reality, where a baseball game is taking place.  The PE teacher stares at me.  “Addelyn, are you deaf?  Get up to bat!”

          I sigh.   Baseball was my worst sport.  I never made it to first base.  Not even once.

          I reach home plate and roll my eyes once I realize whose pitcher:  Weston Brooks.  The one guy who’s taken it upon himself to make my life as horrible as possible.  And word on the street is he just recently broke up with Tracy Adams, which means he’ll be giving me exclusive attention.  Wonderful.

          When Weston sees me take a few practice swings in the air, he tilts his head back in laughter, dark hair shaking in rhythm with his chuckles.  “Bring it in, boys.  Easy out.”

          I growl as a few of the other players laugh along with him.  I’m sure if Kristina was up to bat, they guys wouldn’t say one word to her.  She was blonde, pretty, and popular.  No one cared if she swung like a three year old.  Me being brunette, unpopular, and having a pair of wide, thick-rimmed glasses perched on my nose, made me a target for mockery no matter what I did. 

          “I’m going to throw this real slow and maybe, if you try hard, you’ll be able to only miss it by ten feet.”  Weston smirks.  “But don’t strain yourself.”

          I roll my eyes again, and for a quick second, I let them flicker over to Jackson and Kristina.  I gasp slightly when I see them attached at the mouth, like hungry, rabid animals.  Not good.  So not good.

          Once I force myself to look away, I see Weston staring over at them too.  A pained look passes over his face, and I swear I see him grimace. But then, he turns away bringing his attention back on me.

          Of course!  Kristina and Weston used to be a couple, back in the beginning of the year.  Apparently, Weston called off the relationship because he was interested in the new foreign exchange student, Gabriella, from Italy.  But when Gabriella cheated on him with the football quarterback, he immediately regretted leaving Kristina.  But she had already moved on.