Epilogue

Maggies pov.

"Jake!" I yell laughing, my laugh is softer than it used to be.

I shakily stand up grabbing my cane from beside my chair, I start to shuffle out of the room when I'm being grabbed by the elbow, "Mom, we told you if you wanted to leave the bedroom then to call one of us."

I look up, way up, I've seemed to have shrunk in old age, to see dark brown eyes staring down at me. I smile at my son, "Sammy, I yelled for Jake."

He laughs and I stare at his features, it's amazing he's 44. Sammy is my youngest child out of six. Just as Jake and I talked about 60 years ago. 

We have three girls and three boys, Lily being the oldest is now 60 which is amazing because I'm 78. We're both pretty old, I never realized when I had Lily at 18 that we'd be so old together. Give us another decade and we could probably be in the same nursing home together.

There was 16 years between when Lily was born and when Sammy was born. The other four are Hannah who's 54, James who's 50, Sara who's 48, and Paul who's 46. 

"Where were you going?" Sammy asks me as he helps me into the living room.

"I can hear all of you outside and I was just wondering what was going on."

"Nothing, why don't we go to the kitchen and see if dad is in there."

I sigh, "Okay."

Sammy helps me into the kitchen and when I get there Jake is sitting at the table poured out a newspaper, I smile, "What are you reading."

Jake looks up and I look at his white hair and wrinkles and am amazed at how old we got. I stare into his blue eyes as he smiles and I see the young boy that I married, "What are you doing out of the bedroom?"

I think about how years ago this would have been a teasing sexual term from him, and how now it's really not. I push my a strand of long white hair behind my ear, "I wanted to know what was going on. There's a lot of commotion outside."

 Jake smiles wider and I smile with him, "Alright, I guess it's time we tell you."

He stands up slowly and takes my hand in his, "So do you remember what day it is Mags?" He asks.

I shrug, "You know I don't keep track of time anymore."

Which is true, after I retired from teaching I slowly lost track of time and now I just have no idea. Jake keeps track of birthdays, I just sort of sit around and think about my life. I'm definitely one of those little old woman that you just want to help across the street when you see her, I'm really weak too. I can barely walk which is why they all keep trying to help me, and my hair is to thin for a pony tail. 

Jake leads me out into the back yard, somewhere I've been trying to go all day and I realize that Sammy is no longer anywhere to be seen.

I cringe as we walk outside and people jump out from all over the place, "SURPRISE!" I push myself into Jake startled and he laughs, his laugh isn't as strong as it used to be, but it's just as sincere.

"Happy 60th anniversary Mags." He says.

I look up at him surprised, "What?" Then a slow smile spreads across my face and I lightly hit his chest, "You jerk, you didn't tell me, I would have gotten you a present."

If I could have managed leaving the house with out him. 

"It's fine, after 60 years I don't really expect anything."

I frown, "But you did all this." I say pointing around the lawn as people start to rush over to hug me. He can't answer because people are enveloping me in their arms.