Chapter 5

Chapter 5:

Marcy's Point of View

I arrived at Sam's house. It looked the same as it did when I had left. When I went inside though, I saw what had been changed. Or rather, what had been destroyed. The place was a complete mess.

“Sam!” I shouted.

“What the hell do you want?” came a drunken voice from the kitchen.

I made my way through the disgusting mess. He was laying in the middle of a pile of bottles of every form of alcoholic drink. A bottle of Jack Daniels was in his hand.

“I came to see you.” I told him.

“You see me. Now leave.”

“I won't until you go see River.”

“And if I refuse?”

“Then I am going to be making your life hell until then.”

“It already is hell.” he mumbles.

I crouch down next to him. “Please. She is going through the exact same thing you are.”

“She hates me. I'm not going to go see her. I don't want her to reject me. I don't care if that makes me a hypocrite. I can't face her. I can't face her. Don't make me face her, Marcy, please don't make me.” In the middle of this he started sobbing. I have never seen him look so broken. He was really beating himself up about this.

“She isn't going to reject you!” I told him.

“Can't risk it. I can't risk it.”

River's point of view

I was doing much better. I had started eating again. Finally I had realize that I needed to be healthy for this baby. My depression was still there, but not as bad.

Today I had decided on going to a little coffee shop in town. I sat in a booth reading a book while sipping a cup of coffee.

“Can I get you something?” someone asked.

I looked up to see a cute human guy looking at me. “No thank you, I'm all right.”

He sits down across from me. “How far along are you?”

“Six months.” I said.

“I'm a med student.” he explains. “So where's the father?”

“Off with his fiance on a business trip.” I said.

“Yikes.” he said.

“Oh! It's not like that. We were together, then he met Marcy and it was true love for them. I'm okay with it though. Honestly.”

“That makes you single, right?”

“It does.” I said, uncertain of where this was going.

“Well, believe it or not, I'm curious about what your plans are for Friday night?”

“Nothing that I know of.”

“Why don't you come to the movies with me or something?” he starts to rub the back of his neck.

“I would, but I don't even know your name.”

“I'm sorry! My name is Chris.”

“I'm River.” I said. I thought for a moment. “Yes, I would like to go to the movies with you.”