Chapter 20

Chapter 20:

“River,” Sam moaned out in his sleep.

I buried my head in his chest, wanting to fall back asleep. I'd been up since three with a sickening feeling. I hadn't felt this bad since the rejection of my mate.

“What's wrong?” he bolts up out of his deep sleep.

A tear that has escaped was now rolling down his body. “I don't know.”

He cups my face in his large hands. I lean into his touch. His muscled arms pull me onto his lap. Sam's face nuzzles into my hair. “Are you hurting?”

I nod. “I don't know why. There's no reason.”

Tears began to fall from my eyes as another wave of pain surges through my body. My stomach hurt. It felt like the stomach acid was eating away at it. I wasn't sick. Werewolves don't get sick. There had to be something else.

Sam's phone went off in the distance. He made no move to get it though.

“It'll go off in a second,” he assures me after pressing a kiss to my forehead.

For a few minutes, the beeping stopped. A second later it went off again. Whoever it was wanted to get ahold of Sam right this instant.

“Maybe you should get it?” I suggest.

Sam shakes his head. “It can wait.”

After the fourth time, he finally answered the phone. I rolled over onto his side of the bed, taking in his heavenly scent. I froze when his annoyed tone of voice changed.

“What do you mean?” he asks, a mixture of anger and sadness filling his voice. Sam looks up, noticing that I'm watching him. “Hold on a second.” He turns to me. “Sweetie, go to bed. I'll go take this outside.”

I watch as he leaves the room. Soon enough his voice was hard to hear. He must be on the other side of the house. Slowly I fell asleep.

“River, wake up!” Sam's urgent voice awoke me out of a deep sleep.

“Wha?” I mumbled, rubbing my eyes sleepily.

Sam's eyes were red as if he had been crying. This woke me up. “I have to tell you something River.”

“What is it?” I asked.

“Sebastian has gone missing.”

Dread filled my entire body. “What do you mean my son has gone missing?!?!”

“Marcy went into his nursery this morning and he was just gone. The window was wide open, even though it had been locked last night.” he explains.

I scream out. “No! Not my baby!”

“Shhh, we'll get him back.” Sam promises me. He pulls me into his body. I try to fight him, wanting to get away to find my baby. He wouldn't allow me though. Instead he continued to hold me as I fought him. A hand went up to stroke my hair. Soon enough I had calmed down enough to where I was able to speak.

“Who would take my baby?” I ask in a small voice.

He sighs. “I don't know. I will tell you one thing. I will stop at nothing until our baby boy is back in his mother's arms.”

I froze. “You said 'our' baby.”

Sam runs a hair through his short hair. “Huh, I guess I did.”

I wrap my arms around him. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” he whispers, holding onto me.

“Our son.” I smile into his neck. It wasn't a full smile, but it was the best I could muster.

“We need to start packing. I need to go get a few pack warriors to take onto their lands.” Sam says after a few moments, breaking our embrace. “If you want to start packing for the both of us....”

I nod. “I'll do that. Go get everyone ready.”

He gives me a peck on the lips before quickly leaving.

I began to throw clothes into suitcases, not really caring what was going in. I made sure to pack Sam a lot of extra clothes, just in case he shifted while still clothed. It didn't take long before I was ready to go.

Sam returned, carrying both bags downstairs. Even though he didn't have to, he came back upstairs to carry me down as well. I leaned into him, needing his comfort. The tears still hadn't stopped. My baby was gone. Someone had taken my baby.

“Let's go get our son back.” Sam squeezed my hand as he started the car.  

++++++

Vote and comment please. I want to know what you thought of this non-filler chapter.