Chapter 10

Chapter 10:

Every day I was fed three meals fit for a king and large snacks in between each meal. Each item of food was rich with nutrients. It all tasted so divine. The smallest bite was a bit like heaven. Yet I didn't want to eat. I would starve myself until someone would come and force feed me every last morsel.

I couldn't eat. The thought of food made me sick to my stomach. It wasn't morning sickness, like it used to be. No, it was depression. The depression of not knowing whether or not my child and I would get away or not. The depression of my mate rejecting me. The depression of knowing that the man who used to be in love with me is probably banging his mate right now.

They were better off without me.

"If we get out of this, we'll go far away." I whispered to my baby as I stroked the bump. "We'll be safe, don't you worry."

"Shut up and get to sleep." one of my guards shouted at me. He then threw something at the bars of my cage as if to threaten me.

With a heavy sigh, I climbed into bed. The warmth of the covers should lull me to sleep. Instead it just filled me with energy. I closed my eyes, just hoping that maybe that would be enough to let me fall asleep. It wasn't. At least I could imagine my dream world though.

This time I imagined what our wedding would be like. I was back to my thin state. My wedding dress was a perfectly white ball gown. The skirt was a small lacy pattern. The top of the dress was a corset that was beaded with pearls. It was slightly old fashioned but fabulous. My veil was long, ending past my butt.

I dreamed of the look on his face, as I walked down the isle to see him. His eyes shined with love. The kiss he gave me, the one that sealed our marriage, was full of such passion that the heat in the chapel had risen.

'River? If you can hear me, say something.' I heard Zane's voice through the pack mind link.

My eyes opened wide, snapping me out of my day dream. 'Zane? Is that really you?'

'Where are you?'

'I don't know, but please hurry. Vampires. It's vampires. They want to drink from me and the baby.' Tears filled my eyes.

'Don't worry, we are on the way to find you.'

'We? We who?'

It was too late, he had already ended the mind link.

We. The pack. I was carrying the heir to the pack so of course they would have an interest in finding me. An interest that I could only hope that my mate shared.

With the comfort of having spoken to someone who cares about me, or at least about my child, I was finally able to sleep.

Soon. Soon we would be safe my child.