Chapter seven

My eyes opened slowly, though I felt like sleeping for the rest of my life. My arms hurt, my legs hurt and so did my face. I tried to sit up, only to fall back down; my hair spreading around me. Barrie had taken his frustration out on me and if it weren't for the girl in the next room, he would be home and we would both be sleeping peacefully. I knew he had left for work and I knew that he would avoid coming home at all costs after, so I decided to sleep in until the clock hit noon and the rain died down. I pulled myself off the bed, the feeling of a thousand weights pulling on my body. I didn't necessarily feel pain, but I felt empty and tired. I looked in the mirror set across the bed, bruises climbing up my arms and one on my cheek. I brushed my fingers over the purple skin lightly, wincing at the pain. My eyes were baggy and my legs were too, taken up by black and blue spots. I knew from that moment that our relationship wouldn't continue on like it was, but it would be more of living on a battleground.
I recall it being about four in the afternoon that I decided to head out to go shopping. I walked down to the lobby, my face caked with makeup and my bruises covered by jeans and a navy blue sweater. Every step I took I tried not to make a sound, but it hurt too much. My luck, Burns was sitting down in the lobby smoking a cigar and a mug of coffee by his side. He was with a few other men, but once his eyes landed on me the room grew silent and everyone joined in.
"Hey you, aren't you Barrie's wife?" He asked, blowing out smoke as his dark eyes burned through his sunglasses to look at mine. I nodded slowly and placed my hand on the door. "I heard he beats the shit out of her, the man told me last night." I heard him say, followed by chuckling. I stayed by the door, listening. Part of me wanted to continue my way, but I also wanted to listen.
"Must've done something pretty bad to make him hurt her" a deep voice spoke out, the smoke of the cigars filling the air.
"Get this" Burns looked at me, then back at them. "She slept with my wife."

// I apologize for the short chapter, but thank you all very much for reading, voting and commenting your thoughts. It means a lot. I'll post a longer chapter tomorrow night. 💗