Chapter eight

I quickly darted out of the lobby as the room behind me flooded with laughter, the bitter air hitting against my face as I ran outside. My cheeks were beyond burning, even against the cold after hurricane air and little droplets of water falling that felt like little ice cubes. I was far from embarrassed, I was more than positive I hadn't slept with Marina. I would have remember, and anyways I'm not attracted to her. Not attracted to girls. I have Barrie, and a rather strong negative feeling towards Marina. I didn't want to enter the apartment building again, fearing what would happen on my way back to the room. I wanted to crawl under the covers until the day I die, or at least until Marina moves out of the building. I didn't want to face Barrie, or Marina or Burns so I just continued running and running, until I reached my destination and continued my day.
The blue skies soon turned dark, like it was for the past two days- except of course without all of the rain. The footsteps of my feet against the cold wet concrete seemed to echo each step, getting louder each time. I had been out of the house since this afternoon, and now that the clock had struck twelve, I knew I would either have to face my fears and go back to my living hell or run off to California which in my case would not be appropriate not better for this situation. The doors opened to the apartment as I stepped in- except this time the lobby filled with silence and the site smelled of lemon furniture cleaner and not cigars. I inhaled sharply before making my way upstairs to my room, holding the grocery bags aside of me and my bag on the other. I quietly passed marinas room, holding my breathe for the door not to open but they did and marinas face wasn't her happy normal self, but the bags under her eyes were heavy and the wetness of her tears running down her cheeks glistened in the one lousy hallway light.
"Elizabeth, why didn't you tell me?" She kept one hand on the door, the other wiping at her eyes. I was confused and honestly I didn't want to know what she meant. I tilted my head, looking to my apartment door, then back at her.
"I'm sorry Marina, I don't know what you're talking about, I have to get going." I pulled the keys out of my bag and went to my door, my hands shaking as I stuck the key in.
"Liz, abuse is not something to ignore, especially when it's from your boyfriend" She sobbed. My heart dropped to my stomach and my breathing seemed to stop. It had felt like the wind got knocked out of me. I pushed the door open and quickly shut it behind me, placing down the groceries by the door. The room was dark and my breathing intensified, getting louder and sounded like I was choking. I walked more into the room, turning the corner to the living room. My breathing then again stopped, but not because I was calm, but because not only Barrie and his friends were seated in my living room, but Burns was there, too.