Chapter 33: Lyra-Bella Cassiopeia Malfoy

Semper Melior Simul // Always Better Together 

(lmfao I totally read that as smut ~Avani) 

(omg Avani I hate you 😂 ~River)

(I hate myself too so it's okay ~Avani) 

(Relatable. But also, you're not allowed to talk like that, you bitch! Mar isn't here to scold you so I will! ~River)

(rood ~Avani)

          This was it. My last day in Malfoy Manor. Of course, nobody knew that but me. It was also the day the death eaters were invading the Weasley's wedding. Everything was planned perfectly and if things went well I would be presumed dead, or missing. But nobody would know it was intentional, they would think it was an unfortunate accident that I did not return to the Manor rather than a planned run away. That is if everything goes as planned of course. 

          The one thing I wasn't sure about was Draco. I didn't want to leave him behind but I wasn't sure if he would come or not. Talking to him was the only way to find out I suppose. I waited for Draco that night in his room. There wasn't much time before the attack, but certainly, enough for me to talk to him. 

         The door creaked open and Draco jumped a little upon seeing someone standing in his room. When he processed that it was me his cold expression turned into a soft smile. 

          "Shouldn't you be preparing for the attack?" He asked. 

         "Perhaps," I answered, "But there is something I need to talk to you about. Draco nodded and gestured to the black leather couch in front of his fireplace. We settled on opposite ends and he lit the fire with a spell before turning to me, 

          "Alright, speak." 

          "I'm running away," the words tumble from my mouth almost too fast to understand. But Draco does. He looks almost hurt at my words. "I've been in contact with Potter and his friends and we've arranged a plan for me to meet up with them tonight, I'm running away during the attack and-" I cut myself off to search for the words I want to say, "-and I want you to come with me." 

          "I can't just leave Ly!" Draco yelps. His lips curve downward in a frown and his grey eyes are dull cement colour, the colour they are when he's sad or disappointed. They stayed like that often nowadays. I missed the days his eyes twinkled with the stunning colour of a silver star and the fierceness of a dragon. 

          "Please, Dray! We don't have to help the Dark Lord, we could run! They know how to defeat him, Draco, and I'm going to help them. You should too." Draco shakes his head violently. 

          "No, no Ly," he sighs, "Don't you understand? We're branded by him, we can't leave. He will find you and he will kill you." I feel anger in me that my brother isn't listening. He's refusing his only chance at freedom. 

          "You have to come. I can't just leave you behind!"

          "Well, you should! I'm not going, Ly. I'm not risking it." 

          "Fine," I spit, "Just continue living your life in fear of everything and see where that gets you!" I can see the pain flash in Draco's eyes and instantly regret my words. "I'm sorry," I say. Draco shrugs and looks down at where his hands are folded neatly in his lap. 

          "You should go," he whispers, "Do something good with your life, be brave. But I can't come with you. I just can't do it." I nod sadly and move to hug Dray. He hugs me back and I revel in the moment for a second. Then I swiftly grab my wand from my back pocket and as I withdraw from the hug and I point it at my brother. Draco looks at me with shock and confusion, 

           "Ly?"

          "Relax Dray," I chuckle, "It's just- well you've heard my plan now and if the Dark Lord gets into your mind you'll get in trouble. I'm going to obliviate this conversation okay?" Draco nods and I smile at him, 

          "I love you," I say, "obliviate." 

          I'm running between scared guests and Death Eaters trying to find a safe place to apparate. I make my way around the Weasley's house until I find a place with no people in sight before spinning in a spot and the familiar feeling of being apparated comes over me. In the blink of an eye, I'm standing in a shadowy alleyway. I sigh at the realization of what I've just done. I've run away. I can't ever go back. But most importantly I can't see Draco until all this is over. Assuming we survive that is. I palm the golden coin in my pocket as my mind whirls back to how Draco will do without me. 

          I'm pulled from my thoughts as three people rush into the alleyway. 

          "Lyra! You're here!" Hermione smiles and runs to hug me. I nod and embrace the girl for a minute before pulling away. 

          "Yep, just as I said I would be." Hermione smiled and returned to Ron and Harry, telling them to change. She brought out a charmed bag. Good spellwork that was. 

Draco Lucius Malfoy

         Gone. Lyra is gone. The Death Eaters have no idea what happened to her, they don't know if she's dead or alive. I retreat to my room feeling numb, I can't live without Lyra. She's the only thing keeping me alive, the only thing keeping me from suicide. Without her... well without her, there is no point. 

          As I walk into my room I notice an envelope sitting on my bed, it's blank with no writing or seal. I open it up and pull out a letter, I also notice a gold coin inside and take it out curiously. It looks like just a normal galleon. I pick up the letter again and the handwriting is easily recognizable. I gasp and begin reading, 

         Draco, 

          I'm alive. That's all you need to know. I told you everything but I had to obliviate you under certain circumstances, even telling you this much is risky but I couldn't stand the thought of you being alone and wondering where I was. All you need to know is I am okay. Also, I left a coin in the envelope for you. The coin is charmed so that when you tap it three times it's sister coin heats up. As you can probably guess, I have the sister coin. Tap it when you need comfort or support and I'll tap it right back. The heat will tell you I'm thinking of you. I wish I could do more but any sort of connection between us is risky. The coins will also serve as a way to check if the other is still alive, so try and keep it on you or I may panic if I don't receive an answer to my taps. This is all I can say now, I'm sorry again for leaving and please remember I love you so much and everything is going to be alright. Dispose of this letter once you've read it so that nobody will find this, it's better that way. I love you. 

                                                                                         ~ Lyra

I didn't notice I was crying until I saw the tear stains on the paper. Wiping my eyes I walked over to my fireplace and threw the note into the fire. Then I returned to my bed and picked up the gold coin turning it in my hand experimentally. I cautiously tapped the coin, once, twice, three times. There was no response at first and I thought maybe she was too far away for the spell to work. But then the coin started to heat up. It was warm enough that it would be noticeable if I was wearing it on me but not too hot that it hurt. It was comforting. I smiled and made a mental note to keep the coin on me at all times. I still wasn't happy she left. But knowing she was okay and that we had a way of communicating, even a small one, was enough for me. 

          ~ River 🌊