Chapter 40

Dan's eyes widened

Dan's eyes widened. He could not believe what he was hearing. He hoped this wasn't all a dream. If it was, he didn't want to wake up. He wanted to dream this dream forever.

"Are you okay honey?" asked Belle, with a worried expression.

Dan didn't reply. He was to shocked. 

"I'll go get some water." said Belle, as she headed to the kitchen.

"She was in front of me this whole time." Dan said to himself.

While Belle was in the kitchen Dan heard someone coming back in the house. He saw Thanya headed to the kitchen.

"Thanya!" Dan called, drawing her attention.

Thanya walked over to Dan. She had come back in the house for some water. She still had to take off her prosthetics, but would keep them on until she reached the sand.

"Yes Dan?" Thanya answered.

"I missed you." Dan said to her, with a fresh set of tears threatening to overflow.

Thanya looked both surprised and confused. Her father-in-law just said that he missed her. He was being nice. He was always civil but he was never this warm to her. Plus, he was crying. Thanya had never seen him cry before. She started to wonder what made him act like this.

"It's good to see you too Dan." Thanya replied. It was the best answer she could come up with.

Dan shook his head. "Dad." he said correcting her. "Call me Dad."

This time, Thanya could not hide her expression. She was shocked, confused, and happy all at the same time. She wished she was here five minutes before she entered. So she could see what the reason was for him being like this. She felt like if she asked, it would ruin things. So she nodded.

"You really are my daughter." Dan said, with tears in his eyes.

Thanya was shocked. He never called her his daughter, even after Hansen and her got married. She could tell by the emotion he was showing, that it was sincere. He finally accepted her into his family. He smiled at her.

"Can I hug you?" Dan said choking up.

Thanya nodded, and tears started to form in her own eyes.

Dan hugged her tightly and the tears started to fall as soon as his arms were wrapped around her. Belle looked concerned when she walked back into the dining area. She was really confused and baffled at what she was seeing. She loved Thanya, but she thought it would take years for Dan to finally give Thanya a chance. This was definitely a surprise.

"I finally found you! I've been looking for you all these years. I finally found you!" Dan said with tears.

Thanya was still confused as ever, but happy that she was finally accepted into the family. Belle and Hansen had always been welcoming. This time meant even more, because it was coming from Dan, a man who had been so distant and had kept her at an arms length, never letting her come close.