Chapter 25

When Malama Na Keiki O'Waianae Elementary started working on their new playground, days passed and it was a success

When Malama Na Keiki O'Waianae Elementary started working on their new playground, days passed and it was a success. All they had left to do was to finish the landscaping. There were some volunteers who offered to help with it. All help was appreciated, especially Hansen Hayworth. He was a man all women were glad came to help.

Hansen would come after dropping the girls off at home from school. He had gained experience in landscaping by working for his uncle's company back in Alabama. It was a great way for him to earn some side money during high school. He would come after work dressed in dirty jeans, and a plain, old T-shirt. Sometimes the weather would be scorching hot, causing many of the men to sweat a lot faster. Sometimes, Hansen would take his shirt off while he worked.

All the women, including employees and relatives of the students, would take their time leaving the premises. They all enjoyed watching him work. They practically drooled at the sight of him. No one could blame them - Hansen was a purebred type of man. He was very chiseled and had the body of a Greek god.

They could see how fit he was, but no one could see that he was in love. Everyone assumed he was still single. Thanya and Hansen had yet to be open about being in a relationship. The only one who knew was Monica. Hansen didn't want everyone to think he was single. He wanted people to know that Thanya was his. He felt like a winner and he knew he was. He was a very lucky man  to have her in his life.

Thanya on the other hand, was not ready for everyone to know yet. She didn't like it when people were nosy and knew every single thing she did. She only told people who she was close to and trusted, like her Aunt Sandy, Monica, and a close friend from college named Akita.

All the other men working on the landscaping, were a bit jealous of Hansen. They saw how much the women fawned over him. Even so, the men knew how good of a man he was, and they got along with him, especially two of the local guys who worked for the landscaping company.

One of them was a big Samoan man named Bubba Amosa. He had short black hair and a Hawai'ian tribal tattoo that went around his left arm. The other was a skinny Hawai'ian man named Poké Figaroa. Both of the men had thick Pidgin accents.

(Pidgin is the name of the slang in Hawai'i.)

As Hansen was putting a plant in one of the open holes along the playground, Bubba and Poké were doing the same thing on the other side of the playground, an area that was closer to the entrance of the school. Hansen was too busy working - he didn't notice the women staring at him.

As Bubba was working on putting a plant in a hole, Poké tapped him on the shoulder.

"Psst!" whispered Poké, as he faced Bubba. "Don't look now, but da wahines stay checking you out." He nodded behind Bubba.

Bubba stopped what he was doing and looked behind him, seeing a group of ladies staring at him. They were grinning and twirling their hair around their fingers. They were staff members and other women he assumed to be relatives of the kids attending the school. Bubba never saw himself as a handsome man, but that changed. He was feeling like a champ - maybe if he was lucky, he'd end up getting one of the ladies' numbers.