Chapter 34

The days that passed didn't get easier for Thanya and Hansen

The days that passed didn't get easier for Thanya and Hansen. The longer Thanya stayed in that hotel room, the more sure she fel, that it was better if she went back home. The longer Hansen stayed at his parents without Thanya, the more he was sure she needed to come back.

Belle and Dan were both aware that she wasn't staying with them. Belle was sad about it, and wanted to know why, but Hansen refused to tell her. The last thing he wanted was for Belle to get involved too. Dan, on the other hand, could not be happier. He was glad that Thanya wasn't there.

The next day Hansen woke up early, stopped by a small 24 hour diner and picked up breakfast for them to eat together. He spent the day with Thanya and the night with his parents. When he walked into Thanya's hotel room, she was still asleep. He put the food down on the table walked to her side of the bed. bent down and kissed her forehead, causing her to wake up.

"Good morning," Hansen said, as he gently tucked the hair behind her ears.

She smiled and in a sleepy tone mumbled, "Good morning."

"Breakfast is on the table, I got you the usual," said Hansen as he went to grab her wheelchair.

"Sausage, white rice, scrambled eggs, and ha—" Thanya said, as Hansen helped her onto the wheelchair.

"Hash brown on the side," Hansen said, finishing her sentence.

Thanya laughed and said, "Thank you!" Then wrote an "A+" in the air.

Hansen laughed and proceeded to wheel her to the kitchen table, while they ate breakfast. Hansen would tell Thanya all the stories from his childhood to cheer her up and make her laugh. They would reminisce about the embarrassing moments and the most memorable ones. It made Hansen so happy to see Thanya smile.

A couple of days later, while they were eating another meal at the table, Thanya told him that she wanted to go home. She wasn't purposely trying to hurt him, she just genuinely felt that it would be better if she left and went home. It took hours to convince Hansen that it was the right thing to do. He cried, she cried, and eventually he gave in.

That hurt him, but what killed him were the words that followed soon after.

"Hansen . . . I can't marry you," Thanya said quietly.

It hurt her to say it, but it was something that had been running through her mind. She felt like a burden to him - that was something she never wanted to be to anyone. Now that she had no legs, she thought about all the things that she couldn't do, and how inconvenient it would be for Hansen. Plus, one of the main things she dreamed of was seeing herself walk down the aisle to her future husband. Without legs, that was something she wasn't able to do.

She knew that there were prosthetic legs, but they were expensive. She knew that it would take her years to save up for them. Thanya never saw herself doing this, especially since Hansen was such a good man. She felt that because he was such a good man, he deserved a good woman. She definitely didn't feel like one anymore.