Chapter 31

As Hansen sat down on the hospital chair across from his father's bed, one of the doctors, Sam, walked in

As Hansen sat down on the hospital chair across from his father's bed, one of the doctors, Sam, walked in. Sam had worked at the hospital for over fifteen years and had been a friend of the family for years, so they were very familiar with him. Also, Dan had been saving up for prosthetic legs and Sam was the man who told Dan about them.

"Hey, Dan," said Sam.

"Hey, Sam," replied Dan.

"Ready to go home?" asked Sam.

"He's all good to go home?" asked Belle.

"Yup! Just make sure he eats healthy food, and lays off the sweets, along with staying away from things that could trigger his temper," said Sam.

"Thank you," said the whole family, before Sam left the room.

Belle then went home to get a change of clothes for Dan. Hansen offered to go instead, but Belle insisted he stay back and catch up with Dan. Hansen looked down at his watch. He saw that it was the time that Thanya usually finished work, so he decided to call her phone like he usually did, to ask her how her day was. When the phone rang, she didn't pick up. Hansen hung up, and decided to call again. He called her phone again, but she didn't pick up.

"Maybe she's busy," Hansen said to himself.

He called her phone again half an hour later and still no answer. He didn't have a good feeling. She usually picked up her phone, and even if she missed his phone call, she always called back. He wasn't clingy, but he had a bad feeling. Hansen stood up and paced back and forth across the room while Dan watched the news on the television. He decided to call Monica.

"Hey, Hansen," Monica greeted.

"Hi, Monica. Sorry to bother you, but do you know if Thanya is still at work?

Or did she head on home?" asked Hansen.

 "You haven't seen her?" Monica asked, in a confused voice.

"What do you mean seen her?" Hansen asked, emphasizing on the word seen.

"She got on a plane to Alabama, to surprise you," Monica explained.

Hansen was confused. She should have landed by now. So he should have seen her by now. He was starting to really worry.

"Hello, I'm Shelly Samuels reporting to you now LIVE on DMT News. A plane flying from Hawai'i to Alabama crashed today when its engine blew out," said a voice on the TV.

Hansen immediately turned to the TV and grabbed the remote from Dan to turn up the volume. He watched as the news reporter spoke about the crash. His heart was beating so fast, he thought he was going to have a heart attack. Tears started streaming down his face. He watched live footage of the plane in smoke, with broken pieces everywhere and the ambulance arriving at the airport landing strip and driving away with unconscious passengers.