Chapter 14

The birthday party went great, and the whole Kala family was there. Every family member and some close friends of the family came to Jim's house to celebrate the birthday party. He and his family lived in a four bedroom house and a big backyard. It was big enough to host all the celebration parties. Jim's family believed in celebrating all the great things together as an ohana.

They played games, prizes were won, karaoke was sung, and they always had good food. Jim's aunty would make her delicious garlic fried chicken and his grandma would make the tastiest cake. It was always homemade, because Jim's grandma believed that homemade cakes always tasted better because they were cooked with love. 

When the party was over, everyone helped put everything away. Everyone had to help clean up whether they liked it or not. There was no use running away from helping. Great grandma Kala would bite their ear off if no one helped clean up.

It was just Jim, his wife, Kanani, and their five-year-old daughter, Leilani, at home. Jim met Kanani at a mutual friend's party. Their daughter was named Leilani but everyone called her Lei for short. Jim always believed in "Happy Wife, Happy Life." He amusingly lived by that motto and it had proven to go well in his life.

He was bummed that Hansen didn't want to come, it would have been a good time to introduce his best friend to the family. It didn't bother Jim too much, because he understood that Hansen needed some time. He was eager to hear from Hansen tomorrow about what decision he chose. He hoped he decided to stay on O'ahu.

"Come on, honey, it's bath time," Kanani said to her daughter as she picked her up.

Leilani whined and said, "I don't want to!" right before she and Kanani went upstairs.

Someone started knocking on the front door and Jim walked toward the door. He wasn't expecting anyone and he assumed it was a family member who came back to pick up something they left behind. Opening the door he was surprised to see his Aunt Julie along with a little girl. His aunt Julie was a widow and lived three houses down.

Aunt Julie was an old woman with wavy salt and pepper hair.

She was dark skinned from being out in the sun all day, maintaining her garden. Her dark brown eyes still shone with kindness.

"Aunt Julie! What are you doing here?" he said to her as he stepped aside for her and the little girl to come in.

Aunt Julie and the little girl walked hand-in-hand into the living room. Shutting the door behind him, Jim followed them to the living room. His aunt Julie took a seat on the sofa and the little girl sat right next to her. Jim sat in the single chair next to his aunt. He looked at her and knew that whatever she had to say must have something to do with the little girl.

"Jim, I'm coming to you because I know I can trust you," said Julie.

Putting a hand behind the little girl's back while holding her other hand, Aunt Julie continued talking.

"This is my next-door neighbor Malia. Her mom works outer island and is on Kaua'i right now. She comes home once a week and I babysit Malia while her mom is away," said Aunt Julie.

Jim looked at the little girl and smiled kindly. "Hi, Malia." "Hi . . ." Malia timidly replied.

"Malia here goes to the same school as your daughter," Aunt Julia continued.

"Malama Na Keiki O' Waianae Elementary School," said Jim.

Malia nodded and said, "I told my mommy and aunty that I could walk there, because I'm a big girl. But my mommy and aunty said no."

"So, you're asking me if I could take her to school and also drop her off at home?" Jim asked his aunt.

Aunt Julia nodded her head and replied, "Yes, if that would be okay with you."

"Of course, it's okay with me," Jim chuckled.

"Great! Thank you so much honey! You're such a good nephew," Aunt Julie said happily.

"Thank you, Uncle Jim," said Malia.

"Well, that was all. We're going to be going back home now. It's almost Malia's bedtime. Thank you again sweetie," said Aunt Julie, as she stood up from the couch and grabbed Malia's hand. Jim kissed both his aunt and little Malia on the cheek and waved goodbye, as they walked out the door and back Aunt Julie's house.

Jim was happy to hear that Malia was staying with Aunt Julie. She was old and widowed. She and his uncle didn't have any kids. They were "live in the moment" type of people. He could see that Malia was making his aunt really happy, just by being around her, and keeping her company as well.

"Good night!" Jim replied with a smile as he headed up the stairs.